Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 6 of 42 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: MM Proof Change

Virtuoso

Re: MM Proof Change

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    Exactly, Rock. If one claims to be a "Premium" brand, act like one.
    I'm betting the "market research" is driving this thing. Shortage my ass The sentiment that it's only a 3% drop is exactly why they are doing it. it's only a "little" less. Plus we are taking the high road and not under-aging our whiskey. Aren't we swell? I don't buy makers even though I have no problem with what's in the bottle. I just find reasons to buy something else. But I absolutely guarantee our sales of makers mark will be unaffected by the drop in proof. To quote the great Steve Martin in "the jerk" "it's a profit deal"
    "On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero"
    T. Durden

Enthusiast

I'm a MM hater, so I won't be losing any sleep over the change. Plus the people ordering it in bars mixed with coke can now drink more before getting sick!

Virtuoso

It is what it isn't.
    "Brownest of the brown liquors..so tempting. What's that? You want me to drink you? But I'm in the middle of a trial!" L. Hutz

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by tommyboy38 View Post
    It is what it isn't.
    1st time I saw that, go Bulls!

If this is true, it reminds me of the Knob Creek drought from a couple or so years ago. Things the make you go hmmmmmmmmmmm.... By the way, I still saw KC on most shelves during that drought.
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

When the product was originally formulated in about 1954, 100 proof was the gold standard because it was part of the bonded definition. Maker's was set at 90, perhaps because Jack Daniels was at the time, and/or Mr. Samuels felt that was the best balance point. So not 100 proof but close to it.

Fitzgerald was 100 proof in the 50's IIRC and Pappy was opposed to lowering it but proof drops finally came, however bonded Fitzgerald continued to be available. Jack Daniels in recent years has made higher proof products available, the SB and the odd 90 proof special edition. I vat my own Jack to get one at about 90 proof in fact. So I'm good with how Jack has handled it.

With Maker's 46 coming out, the pattern of making only one product because it was the best and/or they sold all they made changed, and will change again should a drop in proof occur. If they do it, they should retain the 90 proof as a limited edition and might as well add older bourbon to it or do whatever would result in the brandy-like taste I recall Maker's had 30 years ago. I'd rather pay more for that Maker's than the same money for a brand which IMO (while decent enough) does not resemble the brand as it was in the 70's and 80's. If they do this, it will be a win-win so to speak, or close enough for our side of the equation.

Gary

P.S. I am aware that a 101 proof version of Maker's was made available for a time. That is a good precedent to retain a form of the 90 version in fact, or heck, bring back the 101.
    Last edited by Gillman; 02-09-2013 at 04:09.

Enthusiast

3.3% ABV and 6.6% proof!! Pretty big change to the whiskey.

I don't hate MM. It's just when your palette experiences so many other whiskies with more depth and dimension it seems simple.
    Just another example of Beam being Beam, and just in it for mass production and maxing out the corporate buck. Their choice, and our choice not to buy the watered down juice.

I'll probably grab a couple of handles of the 90 proof and stick it in the bunker. I suspect 5 years from now when MM goes from 84 to 80 proof I'll wish I had bunkered 10 handles.
    "Civilization begins with distillation."

William Faulkner

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Restaurant man View Post
    I'm betting the "market research" is driving this thing. Shortage my ass The sentiment that it's only a 3% drop is exactly why they are doing it. it's only a "little" less. Plus we are taking the high road and not under-aging our whiskey. Aren't we swell? I don't buy makers even though I have no problem with what's in the bottle. I just find reasons to buy something else. But I absolutely guarantee our sales of makers mark will be unaffected by the drop in proof. To quote the great Steve Martin in "the jerk" "it's a profit deal"
    It seems that may want a larger proof differential between MM and M46 (84-94 vs 90-94) to justify the price differential, but don't want to say that so they "create" a shortage excuse.

Apprentice

I don't buy the shortage excuse, either. I've never had any trouble finding it on the shelves; even in the liquor department of my local grocery store. Granted, what's available around Chicago might not reflect what's available elsewhere, but still.........

Bourbonian of the Year 2009 and Virtuoso

I wish I had a business where I could sell tap water for the price of whiskey.

Why not just do a national ad campaign suggesting that each buyer add a little water to their drinks to make that bottle of 90 proof last a little longer?
    No US taxpayer was harmed in the making of my Ford racecar.