Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 8 of 42 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: MM Proof Change

Guru

Re: MM Proof Change

They should just ship some of the extra in KY to other places. Soooooo much at the store today, handles and all.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by darylld911 View Post
    As others have said, not sure why they didn't just raise the price. Or I wonder if they DID try that in select markets and found that demand slumped more than they desired.
    Not that Ontario is a good indicator - LCBO being a monopoly there is often no rhyme or reason for pricing decisions - but price went up about 10% before Christmas. Don't know if this has affected demand.

Guru

Oh, I get it. Their whisky is sooo good they hafta lower the proof to increase supply so everybody can get some. As ruses go that's a pretty good one.

Apprentice

I'm new to understanding the economics of the bourbon industry but I would think that raising the price would have the adverse affect that they are looking for, which seems to be stable and continual growth in all of the markets they distribute to. Raising the price is much more drastic from the average consumers perspective (not the whiskey crowds perspective) than lowering the proof is. If they raise the price in all markets they are still left with a shortage of whiskey, which in the long run hurts their brand more and the stability of that brand. In fact if they raised the price, wouldn't they be creating the same sort of situation (on a smaller scale) that they are in now? Less sales of their whiskey to the general public? Just a thought. Seems rather smart to me from a business perspective. I also think the letter he wrote is actually good relational capital for the average whiskey drinker. Puts a nice shine on something that will probably be an "experimental buy" for the devoted fan, to make sure it doesn't suck. IT SHOULD BE NOTED...I don't drink Maker's Mark. I just don't like it and I think it is already overpriced...I just don't think anyone is trying to pull wool over anyone's eyes. When you buy a product you aren't just paying for the product, they are also building the cost of them building a successful business into the cost of the product...at least I would hope they would be. Thats what a consumer always pays for. Who knows I might like it better at 86 proof...but probably not...

Novice

While I enjoy lots of other bourbons, Maker's Mark is a sentimental favorite. It's sad to hear about this change.

In my opinion, it's hard to see how this won't hurt the brand. ("No changes, no compromises...", etc.). As for the alternative of raising the price, unless they lower the suggested retail, they are raising the price by selling more water.
    Last edited by msk2718; 02-09-2013 at 12:42.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

If you haven't bought a bottle of Maker's Mark in the last 30 days, what you think doesn't matter.

And another thing.

Enough with the outrage.

Whenever one of these capitalist companies does what a good business does, the bourbon enthusiasts all turn into communists. It's spin, sure, trying to put the best face on something they know a lot of people won't like, but there is nothing immoral, unethical, dishonest, or stupid about it.

Guru

I'd buy some just so that I could maintain my bitching rights, but I doubt I'd be able to find any.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    If you haven't bought a bottle of Maker's Mark in the last 30 days, what you think doesn't matter.

And another thing.

Enough with the outrage.

Whenever one of these capitalist companies does what a good business does, the bourbon enthusiasts all turn into communists. It's spin, sure, trying to put the best face on something they know a lot of people won't like, but there is nothing immoral, unethical, dishonest, or stupid about it.
    I don't think anyone has said they want to FORCE their opinion on MM, so your comparison to communism is quite silly. They're simply venting that a staple of the bourbon-world is lowering their quality and that sad fact bums them out. I've seen no call-to-arms for fellow SB'ers to gather their pitchforks and Molotov-cocktails and head for Kentucky. I've seen no one asking how we can lobby congress to stop this from happening. I don't know, maybe I missed a few of the more entertaining posts.

But I HAVE skimmed a few posts bemoaning the point of business practices and how the simpletons who are upset just don't 'get it'... which comes off as masturbation at best and condescending blow-hardery (new word, deal with it) at worst. Little newsflash for you, someone can be annoyed at how a business decision affects them or their hobby, while still UNDERSTANDING the business reasons behind it.

This IS a bourbon forum after all... Where else are bourbon hobbyists going to vent? If we wanted to debate business ethics, practice and strategy, we'd be posting on the Forbes forum.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by MyOldKyDram View Post
    I'd buy some just so that I could maintain my bitching rights, but I doubt I'd be able to find any.
    LMAO!!

*geting around posting minimum guidelines, please ignore. *

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

Geez, it's been 80 proof (in a 700ml bottle) here in Australia for the last 3-5 years, and we have to pay an average of $40 if we want to enjoy the only wheated bourbon available on our market. I'd take what you guys are being offered at the prices you pay in a heartbeat!