Quote Originally Posted by Pieface View Post
Do you work for a distillery Ben? I figure this is exactly the model most of the distillers bean counters would like them to head toward. A large supply of low proof young whiskey to underpin volume and a healthy premium on anything with a bit of age or proof. Just got to kill off those pesky historical value brands like OGD114, OWA etc that anchor the prices they can demand on "the good stuff".

Maybe I'm overly cynical, I sure hope so.
I used to work for a micro distillery, but I doubt that changes my view in any way. If you look at it from a business stand point (which all distilleries are), then high proof, high age, low price and constant stock can't co-exist as long as there is a market for the product. The same reason we like OWA and OGD114 is the same reasons they would be logical targets for "market adjustment" -- we know they are a great value.

The simplest option and the one most beneficial to the distilleries is just to raise prices until demand matches supply. Rather than see that across the board, I personally would like to see distilleries make quality cuts to the low end stuff while preserving the good stuff at lower rates. Just my opinion and it is worth what you paid for it.