Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Ezra Brooks Single Barrel

I saw this offering in the store today for only the second time. I've not seen this bottling discussed on the board. Do we know anything about its quality? It was $37 here, and I can buy a WTRB or a Breckenridge for that price (not to mention the other great offerings that are cheaper), so I wasn't really tempted.

Connoisseur

Re: Ezra Brooks Single Barrel

Quote Originally Posted by SFS View Post
    I saw this offering in the store today for only the second time. I've not seen this bottling discussed on the board. Do we know anything about its quality? It was $37 here, and I can buy a WTRB or a Breckenridge for that price (not to mention the other great offerings that are cheaper), so I wasn't really tempted.
    I've had several bottles that were bottled in '05 and '08. 12yrs old and 99proof. I think its pretty much a consensus that its HH juice. At any rate, of the 5 or 6 bottles I've gone through, they were all delicious. I wish EWSB was this good.
    The liver is evil. It must be punished...

Virtuoso

Ezra Brooks Single Barrel

It compares more to EC12, my last few bottles of which have had 20x more character than the dumbed-down HH juice that was in the bottle of Ezra I bought and promptly returned while on vacation in Florida. Just not worth the dough IMO.
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Enthusiast

This bottle was actually labeled Ezra B Single Barrel. Bottled at 99 proof. 12 year age statement. It apparently was the replacement for the 15 year, which is no longer made.

Aaron, was the Ezra you returned the plain old plain old, or was it this Single Barrel expression?

*Edited because I posted without refreshing the page.
    Last edited by SFS; 02-13-2013 at 15:56.

Connoisseur

I've not had a EC12 that I thought was worth a shit. I've not had a EBSB 12yr that I didnt thoroughly enjoy. As with anything...YMMV
    The liver is evil. It must be punished...

Connoisseur

I'm a big Ezra Brooks fan and I did have a bottle of the 99/12 a few years ago and thought it was pretty good stuff. I can't find it anymore though. I've been enjoying the Old Ezra 101/7yo recently. $16 a bottle and wonderful!
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by SFS View Post
    Aaron, was the Ezra you returned the plain old plain old, or was it this Single Barrel expression?
    It was the 1B. It wasn't that it was bad, I just didn't think it held up to the price. It came across to me as a neutered and more costly EC12, despite the step-up in proof. As it's a 1B expression, variation is to be expected. I would have liked it fine without the price tag, but I generally expect to pay more for sourced juice than when I buy the juice directly from the producer, so I was skeptical to being with. No doubt that affected my judgment.
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Guru

The last bottle I had of it tasted more like B-F than HH to me. At any rate, I think it's worth the money.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Guru

Ray I liked the 15 year old enough to buy the other 5 bottles the store had but I find the 12 year expression to be a bit of a let down. At the price you mentioned I don't think it's worth three Bartons.

I like the Ezra B 12 yr and buy it from time to time. It's not a daily pourer but when it's spot on for a night it's a good pour.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.