Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Guru

OWA Private or Single Barrel

I was inspired to post this after seeing Cigar Dan post his list of recently aquired bottles. Can anyone recommend any SB versions of OWA that are superior to the standard bottlings? On the TPS website the SB version gets fewer stars than the standard bottle.

Connoisseur

Re: OWA Private or Single Barrel

Ive purchased CnB and TPS single barrel selections, both are good but varies by barrel.

Guru

Are they typically better than standard bottles? I'm not familiar with CnB.

Edit: When I say better I really mean are they more flavorful or complex. For instance, Greg over at bourbondork describes some of his private barrel pics as caramel/butterscotch bombs with some wood. I would like to try something like that if possible.
    Last edited by smknjoe; 02-15-2013 at 11:48.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by smknjoe View Post
    For instance, Greg over at bourbondork describes some of his private barrel pics as caramel/butterscotch bombs with some wood. I would like to try something like that if possible.
    Add me to that list, please.

Enthusiast

Are they typically better than standard bottles? I'm not familiar with CnB.

Edit: When I say better I really mean are they more flavorful or complex. For instance, Greg over at bourbondork describes some of his private barrel pics as caramel/butterscotch bombs with some wood. I would like to try something like that if possible.
    From my experience most single barrels are 8 years or older. My understanding is that OWA is typically 7ish years but they can dip into younger barrels to blend in. I've found most of the single barrel bottles I've bought to be better than the standard, but not night and day better. Getting the SB means you can get an age statement.

CnB is Cork 'n Bottle BTW.

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

When we eventually get together remind me and I'll bring a sample of the OWA Greg is talking about. The best SB versions are always the ones you had a hand in tasting the barrels and selecting, such as this one.

Trippah and Admin

It depends on if your palate aligns with the folks who picked the barrel and what they are looking for.

CnB used to select some great single barrel OWA but the gentleman who did their selections left and I have not liked what the new guy/gal/group has picked.

My palate and Jay's at Party Source have never agreed. I can't recall any of his single barrel selections being exceptional or dare I say better than the standard bottling.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by wadewood View Post
    When we eventually get together remind me and I'll bring a sample of the OWA Greg is talking about. The best SB versions are always the ones you had a hand in tasting the barrels and selecting, such as this one.
    Sounds good.

Quote Originally Posted by callmeox View Post
    It depends on if your palate aligns with the folks who picked the barrel and what they are looking for.

CnB used to select some great single barrel OWA but the gentleman who did their selections left and I have not liked what the new guy/gal/group has picked.

My palate and Jay's at Party Source have never agreed. I can't recall any of his single barrel selections being exceptional or dare I say better than the standard bottling.
    ...and I was afraid this would be a response. I guess I'll just have to find out.

Trippah and Admin

...and I was afraid this would be a response. I guess I'll just have to find out.
    Sorry to be Debby Downer, but OWA is priced low enough that taking a chance on a bottle isn't going to break the bank.

There are no guarantees in single barrel bottles.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by callmeox View Post
    I have some of C-N-B OWA Barrel #49 hidden down in the bunker but beware my 2nd Amendment is protecting them.
    ovh