Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: OWA Private or Single Barrel

I managed to pick up some single barrel OWA last time I was at Kahn's in Indy. I really like it a lot. When the first bottle was nearly empty. I opened a regular bottle to compare. I really like that too. They're not exactly the same, but pretty close.

Disciple

OWA continues to get younger and younger so I would go with a SB over a shelf offering 100% of the time.
    You can find me in chat most nights on days ending with the letter y!

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by hectic1 View Post
    OWA continues to get younger and younger so I would go with a SB over a shelf offering 100% of the time.
    How do you know the SB offerings are any older? Unless you were there to pick barrel, you don't.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by wadewood View Post
    How do you know the SB offerings are any older? Unless you were there to pick barrel, you don't.
    Because I know the age on 100% of the SB offerings that I drink...

Connoisseur

And the SB offerings will continue to get younger as well

the trend continues.......

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Tico View Post
    And the SB offerings will continue to get younger as well

the trend continues.......
    You are correct sir!
    "There's nothing better than a fine dinner, a good bottle of whiskey and a bad girl"

Guru

That's what Greg said recently on his blog: http://bourbondork.blogspot.com/2013...un-churns.html

Novice

Last time I was at TPS I kept asking one of their bourbon guys about rarer bottles like A. Bowman 19yr and various Willetts. He kept telling me that those were good, but value-wise the 20$ for the current single barrel OWA would be the best twenty bucks I ever spent. He was right. This was last May, so that barrel almost certainly isn't around anymore, but the moral of the story is, find someone at one of these shops who actually likes bourbon and try to get their opinion, if possible.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

IMO, the wheated bourbon that Buffalo Trace has been putting out for the OWA brand the last several years has been maybe the best regularly produced whiskey out there. The regular, off-the shelf bottles have been terrific. And when looking back at the ~15 private barrel selections that I have tried, those have all been wonderful as well. Whether it be the TPS, Binny's, 1789's, CnB's, B&B's, McScrooge's, etc...they've all been great!! (though, I'll admit that the McScrooge's has been my own fave) I suspect all of the other ones that I have not had the privilege to try, are stellar, too. Some expected differences between barrels, but all within that wonderful OWA profile. So, if you're contemplating at getting an off the shelf OWA, you're going to do very well. Maybe the continued excellence of this brand has been the influence of having to fill the S-W PVW shoes for the Pappy iterations?...I don't know. But, this has been some seriously good whiskey, and I think we have been fortunate to experience it. It will be interesting to see where we go from here, though. I'm not sure you can get over a 6 year old private selection any more. But, there's more to good whiskey than age. So, I hope that the barrels continue to be great, and that OWA continues to be the wonderful bourbon that we have loved for some time. Hopefully, we'll hear good things from the private barrel selections that will be showing up, as that will tell us if the product is continuing on with it's excellence, even as it transitions to younger whiskey. Time will tell.

JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    IMO, the wheated bourbon that Buffalo Trace has been putting out for the OWA brand the last several years has been maybe the best regularly produced whiskey out there. The regular, off-the shelf bottles have been terrific. And when looking back at the ~15 private barrel selections that I have tried, those have all been wonderful as well. Whether it be the TPS, Binny's, 1789's, CnB's, B&B's, McScrooge's, etc...they've all been great!! (though, I'll admit that the McScrooge's has been my own fave) I suspect all of the other ones that I have not had the privilege to try, are stellar, too. Some expected differences between barrels, but all within that wonderful OWA profile. So, if you're contemplating at getting an off the shelf OWA, you're going to do very well. Maybe the continued excellence of this brand has been the influence of having to fill the S-W PVW shoes for the Pappy iterations?...I don't know. But, this has been some seriously good whiskey, and I think we have been fortunate to experience it. It will be interesting to see where we go from here, though. I'm not sure you can get over a 6 year old private selection any more. But, there's more to good whiskey than age. So, I hope that the barrels continue to be great, and that OWA continues to be the wonderful bourbon that we have loved for some time. Hopefully, we'll hear good things from the private barrel selections that will be showing up, as that will tell us if the product is continuing on with it's excellence, even as it transitions to younger whiskey. Time will tell.

Wise comments there as always Joe...see you at the sampler in April!