Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: OWA Private or Single Barrel

Some excellent points Joe. While I really like the standard OWA , the TPS SB is a touch sweeter, more in my wheelhouse. Either way, at $20.99 for a 750ml, its a steal and may be the best valued bourbon available.
    The liver is evil. It must be punished...

Enthusiast

I'm on board with anything Weller. The shelf offerings are excellent and, so far, the private selections are tasty iterations of a very good juice.
    Jon

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by smknjoe View Post
    Are they typically better than standard bottles? I'm not familiar with CnB.

Edit: When I say better I really mean are they more flavorful or complex. For instance, Greg over at bourbondork describes some of his private barrel pics as caramel/butterscotch bombs with some wood. I would like to try something like that if possible.
    Joe - I'll try and bring some samples down during the sampler. I'm sure we'll see each other at the Dog's.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Enthusiast

OMG look whom is back from the dead!

I am with Joe on this one, most of the OWA has been very good the past couple of years. I picked up an OWA SB from the TPS last year and thought is was equal to the 1789b OWA I had about a month earlier. Both were very good but not necessarily better than the standard bottle.

On a side note, I don't believe than anybody is going to knock a SB they had a hand in picking out.

Enthusiast

I think what separates a private selection from the regular offering is that you are talking about single barrels versus small batch. I think that fortunately the regular release is pretty consistent and very good. What is going to separate a private selections from the standard release and from other private selections is subtle variations in flavor profile, a nuance here or there, a push in one particular direction in the flavor profile. I agree with a lot of you, though, that while I prefer a single barrel selection the off-the-shelf OWA holds its own just fine. It is a solid label, for now.
    Ryan

Guru

In our own private tastings, the off the shelf OWA stood up to all the private selection bottles I have, and that would be many. This off the shelf bottle, it should be noted, was purchased immediately after the age statement went away.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by BourbonJoe View Post
    In our own private tastings, the off the shelf OWA stood up to all the private selection bottles I have, and that would be many. This off the shelf bottle, it should be noted, was purchased immediately after the age statement went away.
    Joe
    Joe, I had a similar experience with an off-the-shelf bottling. It, too, was an early release after the age statement went away and it stood up in a blind tasting against two very good private selections.
    Ryan

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ggilbertva View Post
    Joe - I'll try and bring some samples down during the sampler. I'm sure we'll see each other at the Dog's.
    That's a very generous offer. I really wasn't planning on going to the sampler. If I do, I'll make sure to remind you to bring samples!

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by nivto View Post
    Joe, I had a similar experience with an off-the-shelf bottling. It, too, was an early release after the age statement went away and it stood up in a blind tasting against two very good private selections.
    I've read similar sentiment in several threads and even some that said the new label was better than the old label during the transition around 2009 or so.

I've gone through 1.5 bottles of the current off-the-shelf stuff and it's good, but I can see how it could be better with more age and/or better barrel selection.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by smknjoe View Post
    That's a very generous offer. I really wasn't planning on going to the sampler. If I do, I'll make sure to remind you to bring samples!
    I'm pretty sure that Greg was thinking you were smokinjoe (joe) who's been around here for years and years.
    You can find me in chat most nights on days ending with the letter y!