Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Guru

Re: OWA Private or Single Barrel

Quote Originally Posted by smknjoe View Post
    How do you know we're not best buds?
    Very sorry...didn't notice the name difference until after the fact. Bob...stop being a douche.

Taste is subjective, each palate is different and for the most part, there's no wrong answer to what's good. For me, I find the SB picks I participate in to be degrees better than off the shelf.....and yes, I've done side by side a number of times. That doesn't mean the shelf offering is bad or sub-par as I have those too in the bunker. The barrel picks allow me and the other participants to zero in on those honey barrels. Off the shelf you get what you get. So, in the end, I'm paying the same price as a shelf offering but getting something to my palate is far better.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by ggilbertva View Post
    Very sorry...didn't notice the name difference until after the fact. Bob...stop being a douche.
    I can't wait to get my giant man hug Greg...62 days and counting! See you in Bardstown little buddy!
    You can find me in chat most nights on days ending with the letter y!

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by hectic1 View Post
    I can't wait to get my giant man hug Greg...62 days and counting! See you in Bardstown little buddy!
    Giggyup Gilligan.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Connoisseur

OWA Private or Single Barrel

Quote Originally Posted by nivto View Post
    I think what separates a private selection from the regular offering is that you are talking about single barrels versus small batch. I think that fortunately the regular release is pretty consistent and very good. What is going to separate a private selections from the standard release and from other private selections is subtle variations in flavor profile, a nuance here or there, a push in one particular direction in the flavor profile. I agree with a lot of you, though, that while I prefer a single barrel selection the off-the-shelf OWA holds its own just fine. It is a solid label, for now.
    Exactly Ryan.

I can assure you there are a wide range of variances in the flavor profile within OWA SB's. I've had enough of them now (and had the pleasure of hand selecting a few) to know this to be the case. Some are absolute caramel bombs, unmistakeable. Lots of forward sweetness on the front palate. Others are more complex and balanced with sweetness, spice, and toasted oak notes playing throughout. And others can be a bit dry, more woody and cottony. The variances are enough that I've even been able to correctly identify a SB in a completely blind tasting. Certain aspects of the SB jump out at you and stick in your memory.

With all that said, I would still echo what others have already stated. The off the shelf OWA is still a fantastic bourbon. The absolute best bang for your buck bourbon out there IMHO.
    Josh

"The last time I turned down a whiskey, I didn’t understand the question."

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by smknjoe View Post
    Ya know, I've always passed up the Bowman stuff while still meaning to try it some time. I've seen two versions - the Small Batch and Single Barrel for $27-$47 if I remember correctly. What would you compare it to?
    Back on topic, well not really because topic is about OWA and not Bowman, but at least back to this question. Sazerac/BT owns Bowman. These Bowman products likely are BT distilled BT recipe bourbon that may or may not have been redistilled one more time in smaller pot still at Bowman. Then they were aged in Virginia. Also aged on pallets not a traditional rickhouse. So answer is a lot like Buffalo Trace, but there are noticeable differences.

Guru

Thanks for the OWA SB sample Wade.

OWA Standard: Nose: Vanilla and wood
    Taste: Medium mouthfeel, caramel and some oak then some burn like redhots
    Finish: lingering sweetness

OWA Single Barrel: Nose: Butterscotch with a hint of oak
    Taste: Medium+ mouthfeel - velvety smooth, caramel/butterscotch
    Finish: Lingering butterscotch sweetness more than the standard bottling

Pretty much what everyone has described. You can certainly tell they are the same bourbon, but the SB leans towards the sweeter side. It's not like they are vastly different though. Good stuff!