Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Disciple

Re: Does Meijer Sell Private Barrel Selections?

So I stopped in at a Meijer's for the first time in my life and though the bourbon selection is limited they certainly have some good prices for this area. My interest was piqued by a recent post in a 4R thread that they had the single barrel at $29.99 in Indy. Here it is on sale at $33.99. Noticed Jack Daniels SB and Rock Hill Farms at sale prices somewhere between $40 and $43 and BT around $21. Didn't buy anything but the 4R looked mighty dark in color and I was tempted.
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Connoisseur

When Meijer started to carry Knob Creek Single barrel, they got in a batch that had a little metal tag glued to the bottle. The tag said specially selected for Meijer, and had a barrel number. Since then, I haven't seen any more with the tag.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by PaulO View Post
    When Meijer started to carry Knob Creek Single barrel, they got in a batch that had a little metal tag glued to the bottle. The tag said specially selected for Meijer, and had a barrel number. Since then, I haven't seen any more with the tag.
    Some there now and on sale. As are the three standard FR (1B, SB & YL). 1B is $29.99, SB is about $21 and YL is $14.99.
    They say some of my stars drink whiskey, but I have found that ones who drink milkshakes don't win many ball games-Casey Stengel

Disciple

Do you remember how much the KCSB is? Geez, now I have to make a trip to Meijer. It would be ok if I were just going to buy bourbon but my wife will want to buy a bunch of other stuff.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by mbroo5880i View Post
    Do you remember how much the KCSB is? Geez, now I have to make a trip to Meijer. It would be ok if I were just going to buy bourbon but my wife will want to buy a bunch of other stuff.
    I think it was the same as the FR1B $29.99 IIRC.
    They say some of my stars drink whiskey, but I have found that ones who drink milkshakes don't win many ball games-Casey Stengel

Virtuoso

I must have missed this topic when it was first posted.

A little background first: here in Kentucky, at the moment, grocery stores are specifically excluded from selling wine or liquor in the regular grocery store. It's pretty silly. So what major chains, like Meijer, have done is to setup completely separate buildings or stores that are part of the main grocery that are closed off with a separate entrance.

I work in one of these stores for a grocery chain in central KY that is not Meijer (so I cannot speak as to how they operate). But in my store I have personally been involved in selecting a barrel of bourbon. It was a fun experience and I hope I get to do it again in the future. I'm not an expert on bourbon and neither are my coworkers. But I can tell you that it's not just Beam or whomever out there picking the barrel for my company! Us folk on the store level actually do it!

Larger retailers are going to buy product in such a way that they get the lowest price possible. So if their distributor was running a deal on single barrels then they bought it that way. There's nothing wrong with this, and the distiller is not going to put product that does not meet profile into this program. However, it wouldn't surprise me if they just let the distillery "choose" the barrel for them. Jim Beam was recently pushing fairly hard with pricing for retailers to purchase their own special barrels. So likelihood is that this is what happened here. Many package stores pick barrels this way as well.
    Some of the larger distilleries will go ahead and bottle these retailer selections in advance of anticipated sales, and then send samples out to retailers. For example the company I work for purchased a single barrel of a particular Tennessee whiskey. We did actually select the barrel from several samples that were sent to us. When it arrived the date on the label was a month prior to when we actually selected it. The product in the bottle was what we picked...it's just a way to more efficiently get the product to the market.
    When buying product from a smaller distillery it is common to actually go and visit, and sample from the actual barrel. This is a lot more fun, but it takes longer to actually get the product onto the shelf.
    Often times there is no pricing advantage to buying your own barrel, and you may be extending inventory further than needed and using up extra cashflow in the process.

This all being said, when the retailer I work for picks out barrels we will always actually select the product and insure that it is of a superior quality than offered in the non retailer bottling before having a label attached. That's really the point of these sorts of programs, and I think it sets us apart from a lot of retailers. People know if they pick up a bottle that says selected by _____ in our stores that it is going to be of good quality. It's a bit of a gamble sometimes with these retailer selections unless you know the retailer that selected it knows what they are doing, or actually selected it. Nothing against Meijer, but I doubt they have a lot of whiskey experts working there. Maybe they do, I'll have to stop by and buy a bottle.
    It isn't cheap however to send a group of people to Kentucky to taste whiskey when they are making you money working in the stores, so I doubt that a big box retailer would do this. Even if the trip is paid for by the distributor or manufacturer the employees wages are not.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by benpearson View Post
    It isn't cheap however to send a group of people to Kentucky to taste whiskey when they are making you money working in the stores, so I doubt that a big box retailer would do this. Even if the trip is paid for by the distributor or manufacturer the employees wages are not.
    Is it possible that they had some people from some of their Kentucky stores go over to FR and choose? I don't think that would be all that expensive if they made a day trip out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackinbox View Post
    Is it possible that they had some people from some of their Kentucky stores go over to FR and choose? I don't think that would be all that expensive if they made a day trip out of it.
    Certainly possible!

Quote Originally Posted by Jackinbox View Post
    Or you do it through the mail. A number of distilleries do this already. 4 or 5 100ml barrel samples sent via good ole USPS..