Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Guru

Re: 2012 lot 40 release

Tom, Gary, would the unmalted rye grain have anything to do with it.

Connoisseur

The Rum Howler blog offers up a review and scores it 93/100.
    John Q.
    Tennessee Squire
    Quote Originally Posted by ggilbertva
    It won't be any cheaper than it is today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan
    Someone will pay it. Someone always pays it.

Guru

The blogger's notes are a bit far reaching (I don't think wet Poplar smells much different from other deciduous trees in the forest and mature grain on the ground after harvest actually has no scent) but the information from Dr. Livermore is very interesting.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    The blogger's notes are a bit far reaching (I don't think wet Poplar smells much different from other deciduous trees in the forest and mature grain on the ground after harvest actually has no scent) but the information from Dr. Livermore is very interesting.
    I have to say I find his reviews routinely a little over the top. I don't know him personally but he is a regular reviewer of rum and he seems a little over enthusiastic at times, at least with rum. I guess we just don't have the same palate.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    I have to say I find his reviews routinely a little over the top. I don't know him personally but he is a regular reviewer of rum and he seems a little over enthusiastic at times, at least with rum. I guess we just don't have the same palate.
    Not only that, but pretty much everything he reviews are from comp bottles - though unlike many bloggers he doesn't hide the fact.

Guru

Sounds like a good gig.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Sounds like a good gig.
    No doubt, it is.

To be fair, one doesn't just start getting free bottles of booze to review - it takes time, work, favorable reviews, and some ... errr ... networking, before distributors* start sending you bottles to .... hummmm, errrrr, market on their behalf.

* Being in Canada, given the archaic liquor laws, it is virtually impossible for distillers to send you alcohol from outside the country.
    Last edited by portwood; 02-23-2013 at 14:15.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by portwood View Post
    No doubt, it is.

To be fair, one doesn't just start getting free bottles of booze to review - it takes time, work, favorable reviews, and some ... errr ... networking, before distributors* start sending you bottles to .... hummmm, errrrr, market on their behalf.
    Yeah, I guess that was kinda what I was trying to say about his reviews!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Just on the point of the kerosene-like tastes I get in some whiskeys, I think it's a trait of younger whiskeys, not just ryes, distilled-out at lower proofs. I believe too (to answer a question Squire had) that raw grains tend to enhance the effect, not just for rye grain but corn or wheat too (or raw barley, as e.g. in some Irish whiskey). I don't get the taste in most Canadian whiskies though, perhaps I am used to it in small amounts.

I agree with Smithford that it would probably age out in products 10 years of age and over. In the States, given the new charred barrel is used, anything four years or over usually doesn't have the taste: the charred barrel and Kentucky climate have taken care of that. In Canada, generally used charred barrels are employed, so it will take longer, IMO, for a spirit to lose that taste than for a U.S. straight whiskey.

A little of the taste is okay, and the current Lot 40 strikes a good balance for me.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 02-24-2013 at 12:39.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    Just on the point of the kerosene-like tastes I get in some whiskeys, I think it's a trait of younger whiskeys, not just ryes, distilled-out at lower proofs. I believe too (to answer a question Squire had) that raw grains tend to enhance the effect, not just for rye grain but corn or wheat too (or raw barley, as e.g. in some Irish whiskey). I don't get the taste in most Canadian whiskies though, perhaps I am used to it in small amounts.

I agree with Smithford that it would probably age out in products 10 years of age and over. In the States, given the new charred barrel is used, anything four years or over usually doesn't have the taste: the charred barrel and Kentucky climate have taken care of that. In Canada, generally used charred barrels are employed, so it will take longer, IMO, for a spirit to lose that taste than for a U.S. straight whiskey.

A little of the taste is okay, and the current Lot 40 strikes a good balance for me.

Gary
    I brought the bottle of Lot 40 I got in January in Knoxville to Joe's for the GBS event and we compared it to one he has had for some years and is presumably from the first batch. Outwardly the bottles look nearly identical and there doesn't appear to be any way to tell if they are from different batches. The tastes was a little different but didn't seem to be significantly so.

I now notice the new release says "2012 Edition Release" on the label (Duh!) so apparently I have a bottle of the first batch. It isn't bad but I am a little disappointed as I thought it was the new one when I bought it. Will have to be more careful in the future!