Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Guru

Celebrity chefs, bourbon and misc. nonsense

Including Bourdain who seems to have been pouring gas on the fire in recent episodes by constantly bringing it up.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Virtuoso

Re: Current PVW Prices 2012/2013

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    Including Bourdain who seems to have been pouring gas on the fire in recent episodes by constantly bringing it up.
    Bourdain is an idiot, and no one watches his show. Because he is an idiot.
    "On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero"
    T. Durden

Quote Originally Posted by Restaurant man View Post
    Bourdain is an idiot, and no one watches his show. Because he is an idiot.
    The problem is that people do watch his show(s). Tons of them. Me included. He's an idiot, but an entertaining one.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by c2walker View Post
    The problem is that people do watch his show(s). Tons of them. Me included. He's an idiot, but an entertaining one.
    Not sure whether he is an idiot or not but certainly his "TV persona" comes off as a big blowhard. Maybe he is that way in real life too but I have no idea. I don't think we would likely have much in common besides travel but I do enjoy watching the show because I have had the good fortune to travel a fair bit myself over the years. Just finished my "bipolar" year last year with trips to Argentina/Antarctica and the Arctic (Iceland/Greenland/Svalbard with a side trip to London and Belgium) and am off to Cuba in a few weeks. One of the things I enjoy when I travel is trying to learn a bit about the local culture through food and drink. I don't have the access he gets of course but it can still be interesting and helpful to watch what he did.

I did think his recent Atlanta show on The Layover was a bit underwhelming. Don't care for that show as much or for his visits to American cities as much as the more "exotic" locals. Not that it matters as it has now runs its course. Remains to be seen whether the upcoming CNN gig will have as much interest for me.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Virtuoso

I've enjoyed both of his audiobooks, which he reads himself, and have watched his show infrequently over the years. He is obviously polarizing, but I've become quite a fan of the guy, even if he has had as large a role as any in "ruining" PVW.

Guru

Current PVW Prices 2012/2013

I like Bourdain and after meeting him in person, he's actually a very genuine (albeit snarky) person. Sure, he's an easy target for the whisky-lover's PVW woes but even if Bourdain never mentioned a peep about Old Gentlemanly Dude, there still would be craziness around allocation time.

That said, prices were lower & bottles more readily available here in Washington state before liquor sales were privatized.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    It's also other celebrity chefs like Chang, Ripert, Brock, and others that are pouring the gas too. These guys are rock stars to the hipster crowd. I mean if they mention they used organic Egyptian Walking Onions or sustainable Patagonian toothfish for their dish, there's going to be a run on that stuff too!

But I find it humorous when Bourdain (on an episode of "On The Table") says "you can't tell people about this stuff [PVW]" but then immediately says "that is the most glorious bourbon on the planet." Or Chang and Brock (on Mind of a Chef) doing a tour and tasting with JVWIII.

I just want to thank those guys for making it that much harder to get it!

Taster

In the big picture, I respect guys like Bourdain, Chang, et al. But it's pretty inconvenient when their interests overlap with ours. Just thankful they're mostly focused on the PVW. Throws the hipsters off the scent, for the time being.

For what it's worth, I'm sure that there's a group of Brazilians who are pissed that Bourdain blew up their favorite Caipirinha bar.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by matthewdc View Post
    It's also other celebrity chefs like Chang, Ripert, Brock, and others that are pouring the gas too. These guys are rock stars to the hipster crowd. I mean if they mention they used organic Egyptian Walking Onions or sustainable Patagonian toothfish for their dish, there's going to be a run on that stuff too!

But I find it humorous when Bourdain (on an episode of "On The Table") says "you can't tell people about this stuff [PVW]" but then immediately says "that is the most glorious bourbon on the planet." Or Chang and Brock (on Mind of a Chef) doing a tour and tasting with JVWIII.

I just want to thank those guys for making it that much harder to get it!
    My only problem with Bourdain is that he's a phony. When's the last time Chef Bourdain has cooked anything. And he bad mouths chefs at every turn including in his tell all book that sparked his fame. He touts pappy because he wants to be associated with the secret good stuff. Too bad he's like at least 5 years too late.he's like the last one to jump on the bandwagon waving other people on. as far as pappy prices here, haven't seen any.
    "On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero"
    T. Durden

Guru

I've always thought of Anthony Bourdain as the punk rock Rick Steves.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog