Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Current PVW Prices 2012/2013

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    No idea, it was in one of the food magazines published prior to the internet, probably early 70s.
    Julia Child dropping a turkey, but going ahead and serving it is a myth.

As for PVW prices, they're becoming too damn high!
    Last edited by c2walker; 02-18-2013 at 10:54.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Manthey View Post
    Link? I'd love to show this to my mom.
    Unfortunately, you can't really find everything on the Internet. Especially, pop-culture from that long ago.

Quote Originally Posted by c2walker View Post
    Julia Child dropping a turkey, but going ahead and serving it is a myth.

As for PVW prices, they're becoming too damn high!
    I was kidding about snopes. That's definitely not a reliable source.

Talk about thread drift! I post a couple of lines in the "how did you break your Glencairn" that pertained to the topic of Glencairns and I got a warning!

Trippah and Admin

Quote Originally Posted by smknjoe View Post
    Talk about thread drift! I post a couple of lines in the "how did you break your Glencairn" that pertained to the topic of Glencairns and I got a warning!
    Yep, thread drift sucks. We do what we can when we find it. I've pruned the excess from that thread and placed it in here.

If it gets any wackier, it can be moved to off topic.

Anyhow, what you got wasn't a warning...you will know if/when that happens. What you got was a courtesy reminder from a moderator.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    BB just let the cat out of the bag!! Here comes Guy Fieri to corner the market on cake flavored vodka!! Goes good with those white rimmed sun glasses....turned backwards!!!!! Hot, BABY!!!

I'm sorry, but I think all of these "celebrity chefs" are total douchebags....
    I agree. I do like Adam Richman, though.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    Not sure whether he is an idiot or not but certainly his "TV persona" comes off as a big blowhard. Maybe he is that way in real life too but I have no idea. I don't think we would likely have much in common besides travel but I do enjoy watching the show because I have had the good fortune to travel a fair bit myself over the years. Just finished my "bipolar" year last year with trips to Argentina/Antarctica and the Arctic (Iceland/Greenland/Svalbard with a side trip to London and Belgium) and am off to Cuba in a few weeks. One of the things I enjoy when I travel is trying to learn a bit about the local culture through food and drink. I don't have the access he gets of course but it can still be interesting and helpful to watch what he did.

I did think his recent Atlanta show on The Layover was a bit underwhelming. Don't care for that show as much or for his visits to American cities as much as the more "exotic" locals. Not that it matters as it has now runs its course. Remains to be seen whether the upcoming CNN gig will have as much interest for me.
    I think Bourdain does go over the top a bit on his shows, but some of that is just being a showman since he's in the entertainment business. Listening to real interviews with him, like on NPRs Splendid Table, and he seems pretty down to earth. He's a foodie who got lucky, and gets to travel the world, be an ass, and eat/drink some great stuff.

Agreed on the Atlanta episode, it was a B- effort, but I'm guessing most locals probably feel that way when he visits their city.

Virtuoso

I don't have a problem with Bourdain at all, in fact I usually enjoy the show when I manage to catch it. I just don't watch much TV. He reminds me of a lot of New Yorkers I have known over the years as far as attitude and swager. Maybe it's a Miami thing and when I grew up in Miami it was like a distant southern suburb of New York.
    What I enjoy is his appreciation and enthusiasm for street food, simple fare and strong drink. He gets snarky when average food is served pretentiously.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by ebo View Post
    I agree. I do like Adam Richman, though.
    +1
    Sometimes he tries to be a little too clever or overly dramatic, but he seems like a cool guy. I've enjoyed his shows.

Advanced Taster

It wasn't Anthony Bourdain, but Zane Lamprey from Three Sheets, that first introduced me to PVW. it was the episode where he went to Kentucky and told all about bourbon that I first even heard of PVW. It was what made me go out and buy a bottle with my first bonus check from my new job 5 yrs ago. (BTW, I paid $75 for a bottle of 23yr Family Reserve, which is NOW pricing out at $495...)

Guru

I remember Pappy prices when they were much less than $75.00. I just hope the media foodies don't decide BIBs are the new best thing.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Borchard View Post
    It wasn't Anthony Bourdain, but Zane Lamprey from Three Sheets, that first introduced me to PVW. it was the episode where he went to Kentucky and told all about bourbon that I first even heard of PVW. It was what made me go out and buy a bottle with my first bonus check from my new job 5 yrs ago. (BTW, I paid $75 for a bottle of 23yr Family Reserve, which is NOW pricing out at $495...)
    Great show! That show led me to track down several bottles out of curiosity over its short run although none were bourbon. One was Penderyn Welsh whisky.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum