Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Whats your favourite High West product?

Hi guys, Ive recently come across the guy that imports High West products to Australia. The two Ive bought, tried and liked already are the Rendezvous Rye and the Double rye. Both are very similar to me on entry, with the Rendezvous having a longer finish, therefore getting the nod as my favourite so far. There are a lot more bottles for me to try, but you need deep pockets. The unaged stuff doesn't interest me, but im interested in what my fellow SB'ers think of the range and their favourites are? are their bourbons as good as their ryes? Thanks, Dan.

Connoisseur

Re: Whats your favourite High West product?

I've only had the double rye and campfire and I love campfire, but mostly because it's unlike anything else I've ever tried. Though given it's bourbon, rye, and peated scotch mixed together, it's not likely something many other producers will repeat.

They have sold, and may still have at the distillery itself, some older bottles of rye sourced from who knows where. I've heard good things about them and seen some on the shelf of one of the members bunkers here, but never tasted one. Some day...

Disciple

Nah, not from who knows where... 21 and 16 are Barton, 12 is LDI. They are sold out of 12 and 16, even at the distillery.

Anyway, Rendezvous is my pick among their standard offerings.
    Jim

Enthusiast

I really enjoy the Rendezvous. My favorite is a special Double Rye release they did for Binnys (Chicago) where they aged the regular Double Rye an extra 6 months in a Manhattan cocktail barrel. It was out-of-this-world good - best Manhattan I've ever had. All you needed to do was add a cherry. Every time I opened a bottle it was gone that day (friends helped, of course).
    Justin

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by HighInTheMtns View Post
    Nah, not from who knows where... 21 and 16 are Barton, 12 is LDI. They are sold out of 12 and 16, even at the distillery.

Anyway, Rendezvous is my pick among their standard offerings.
    Awesome, I figured someone here would know where they came from

Enthusiast

It's my favorite by default, since it's the only one I've tried so far, but the Bourye is delicious.

Advanced Taster

To me the Rendezvous Rye is their best. According to the distributor - it is a mix of 6 year and 16 year old rye. Very tasty!

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Dolph Lundgren View Post
    I really enjoy the Rendezvous. My favorite is a special Double Rye release they did for Binnys (Chicago) where they aged the regular Double Rye an extra 6 months in a Manhattan cocktail barrel. It was out-of-this-world good - best Manhattan I've ever had. All you needed to do was add a cherry. Every time I opened a bottle it was gone that day (friends helped, of course).
    I agree on both counts. The Rendezvous is my favorite off the shelf product from High West. And their specialty products contracted by stores and restaurants are absolutely fantastic. Out here in San Diego, the U.S. Grant Hotel has partnered with High West on the hotel's signature cocktail, the U.S. Grant Centennial Manhattan. Pulled from their drink menu, the recipe is: "High West Rye Whiskey, Dolin Vermouth Rouge, Fee Bros Bitters. Blended And Aged Harmoniously In Commemorative Oak For 100 Days." Instead of a cherry, they use a drunken blueberry. Absolutely the best Manhattan that I've had.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Santana View Post
    It's my favorite by default, since it's the only one I've tried so far, but the Bourye is delicious.
    I'll second this. Unfortunately it is another High West bottling that has run dry. I'm milking the one I have.
    Jim

Apprentice

I have not had all of their stuff but my favorite has been the Campfire. I really enjoy it and think it is pretty interesting blend, worth the $50/bottle here