Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Enthusiast

OYO Bourbon Whiskey Michelone Reserve

IMG_0958.jpg
    My son-in-law brought over a bottle of OYO Bourbon Whiskey Michelone Reserve today to try. Looked at other posts on the board and didn't see any reviews posted.

I was a bit skeptical ... not a straight bourbon, no age statement, from Ohio, and an opaque bottle. I generally avoid liqour in opaque bottles. Its from Middle West Spirits in Columbus, OH. 90 proof and states "a small batch whiskey that pairs the finest Kentucky straight bourbon with our award winning OYO Whiskey. Ohio's finest 100% wheat whiskey produced in nearly a century."

The nose is sweet with no hint of alcohol at all. The initial taste is sweet ... very sweet. Not like caramel, brown sugar or maple syrup ... just sweet, and simple. I was expecting it to taste young, it didn't. The finish is sweet also. Not an unenjoyable pour, but the sweetness was a bit overpowering. At ~$40 ... doubt I'll but one for the stash.

It did pair well with my Gurkha Park Avenue 44 though ...
    Sto lat!!!

bllygthrd

Re: OYO Bourbon Whiskey Michelone Reserve

Quote Originally Posted by bllygthrd View Post
    IMG_0958.jpg
    My son-in-law brought over a bottle of OYO Bourbon Whiskey Michelone Reserve today to try. Looked at other posts on the board and didn't see any reviews posted.

I was a bit skeptical ... not a straight bourbon, no age statement, from Ohio, and an opaque bottle. I generally avoid liqour in opaque bottles. Its from Middle West Spirits in Columbus, OH. 90 proof and states "a small batch whiskey that pairs the finest Kentucky straight bourbon with our award winning OYO Whiskey. Ohio's finest 100% wheat whiskey produced in nearly a century."

The nose is sweet with no hint of alcohol at all. The initial taste is sweet ... very sweet. Not like caramel, brown sugar or maple syrup ... just sweet, and simple. I was expecting it to taste young, it didn't. The finish is sweet also. Not an unenjoyable pour, but the sweetness was a bit overpowering. At ~$40 ... doubt I'll but one for the stash.

It did pair well with my Gurkha Park Avenue 44 though ...
    If it tastes that sweet and it doesn't say "straight", then they added sugar to it.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by jankdc View Post
    If it tastes that sweet and it doesn't say "straight", then they added sugar to it.
    Sounds like you're stating this as "fact". Something else you know about this product? Or, just based on Bllygthrd's review?
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Advanced Taster

So they mixed Kentucky bourbon with their own wheat whiskey? MGP?

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    Sounds like you're stating this as "fact". Something else you know about this product? Or, just based on Bllygthrd's review?
    We don't ever get full info on bourbons, something I've learned getting really into sipping whiskey the last year. Maybe we need some additional oversight into the industry. I don't want more, but I'd love to have a requirement for any additives listed on the label. Do not want FDA type oversight though.

Guru

Well we do have some safeguards, if it's labeled Straight Bourbon it doesn't contain additives, also Bottled in Bond which actually has some restrictions on how it's made. This is why I'm leery of a distillery rep saying straight and BIB are outdated terms.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    If it doesn't say straight on it they can put 2.5% by volume of other stuff including sugar, caramel, fruit juice, flavoring, oak extract and more. The only reason to not use the term straight is to put this stuff in there. So, while I'm basing it on Bllygthrd's review, if it tastes sweet, and it's not straight, then there's sugar in there.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by jankdc View Post
    If it doesn't say straight on it they can put 2.5% by volume of other stuff including sugar, caramel, fruit juice, flavoring, oak extract and more. The only reason to not use the term straight is to put this stuff in there. So, while I'm basing it on Bllygthrd's review, if it tastes sweet, and it's not straight, then there's sugar in there.
    Not necessarily. Says it's a mixture of Kentucky Straight Bourbon and wheat whiskey. They can't call it straight legally because of the mixture of bourbon and wheat whiskey. Wheat whiskey is pretty sweet is it not?
    Steve

TT: Everything goes better with a little OGD114.
    squire: Amen...............

Quote Originally Posted by flahute View Post
    Not necessarily. Says it's a mixture of Kentucky Straight Bourbon and wheat whiskey. They can't call it straight legally because of the mixture of bourbon and wheat whiskey. Wheat whiskey is pretty sweet is it not?
    Ok, I was wrong in saying that the only reason not to use the term straight is to put additives. It may be because of GNS, or adding whiskey that is not aged two years in oak etc. However, I still stand by that if it's not straight and it is sweet, then there is sugar in it.

If you ferment sugar (molasses, or cane juice) and you distill it you get rum. Rum is not naturally sweet unless you put additives (sugar) in it after the distillation process.

Trippah and Admin

This seems to be another TTB failure as the class/type is bourbon whiskey, the label states blended bourbon among other things.

The end product of adding wheat whiskey to bourbon isn't bourbon. This is similar to the Four Kings "bourbon" that Binny's sold from the collaborating micro-distilleries. OYO even calls it a four grain bourbon on the label which is incorrect.

Overall, it's a confusing label. It mentions all of these items in a small space:

Bourbon Whiskey (front label)
    Blended Bourbon Whiskey (front label)
    Kentucky Straight Bourbon (back label)
    Wheat Whiskey (back label)

How the heck is the consumer supposed to know what is in the bottle?

Also, leaving straight off of the label doesn't allow you to put in sweeteners, coloring, etc. To do that, you need to call it Bourbon with __________ or it needs to be labeled as a blend.

As far as what is in the bottle? Only OYO knows.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?