Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Enthusiast

Re: A big year for Irish Whiskey?

Quote Originally Posted by clingman71 View Post
    Try the Redbreast 12 cask strength, it'll change your religion! That being said though, it still ain't bourbon.
    Agreed. My brother gave me a bottle of that for my birthday, and it changed my mind about Irish whisky. It is a great pour.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Connoisseur

A big year for Irish Whiskey?

Don't forget about the new Yellow Spot. A friend was kind enough to send me a sample earlier this year. Here are my formal thoughts:

Yellow Spot 12yr, 46%

Color: Straw yellow.

Nose: Vanilla icing and cake batter. A lovely whipped cream note with a whiff of powdered sugar. Very sweet. A floral undertone of wild flowers and orchids. An exquisite nose!

Taste: A wonderful, sweet, sugary entry that is very front palate. White icing, vanilla bean, and simple syrup. The sweet notes are all very forward. Mid-palate introduces some softer floral notes including jasmine and white peony tea. Warm honey notes play throughout.

Finish: Very soft with lingering sweetness. A touch of honeydew melon.

Rating: What a wonderful. fantastic dram. Lovely sweetness with delicious floral undertones. Delicate, well rounded and incredibly refined, this is one of the best Irish whiskies I've ever had. An absolute delight! I'm scoring this one a 94.
    Josh

"The last time I turned down a whiskey, I didnít understand the question."

Guru

http://www.drinkspirits.com/whiskey/...ended-whiskey/

Kilbeggan a Better Irish Blended Whiskey

Interesting that this whiskey is a blend of Greenore an Tyrconnel. I have not tried it but see it on the shelf as it appears
    readily available.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Dave View Post
    I had my first taste of Redbreast 12 right after the new year started. Never like an Irish whiskey before I tried it. It's hard for me to believe that there might be a better one out there. The Redbreast is just an outstanding pour.
    Quote Originally Posted by WAINWRIGHT View Post
    I would have to totally agree here,if the RB12 tripped your trigger the RBCS is a must.I don't know if I've ever had a more crisp and vibrant pour from any other Irish in the past,the addition of proof really brings it to a whole other level!Total Fruit Bomb!
    Pity about the rapid price increase though on the Redbreast 12. It wasn't long ago that I was consistently buying the stuff in the upper $30's. Now it's $50+ pretty much everywhere I go around here. That's just enough of an increase to have me looking elsewhere on the shelf, though I still do fork out the dough for the occasional bottle.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

In Minnesota we have 4 Irish Pubs that were owned by an Irishman and one of them, "The Local" in downtown Minneapolis near our ball stadiums sold more Jameson than any other bar in the world. They developed a simple drink called the "Big Ginger" with ginger ale, Jameson, and a little lemon and lime. It sold like crazy. Kieren, the owner than decided to get an independant distiller in Ireland to produce him a whisky. It came out two years ago and he uses it in his pubs (which he had to "sell" due to rules about owning a liquor brand and bars) The whisky is called 2 Gingers and is a decent 4 year old that can run with regular Jameson. It is only distributed in Minnesota and is bottled by the Phillips company in Princeton, MN

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Grain Belt View Post
    In Minnesota we have 4 Irish Pubs that were owned by an Irishman and one of them, "The Local" in downtown Minneapolis near our ball stadiums sold more Jameson than any other bar in the world. They developed a simple drink called the "Big Ginger" with ginger ale, Jameson, and a little lemon and lime. It sold like crazy. Kieren, the owner than decided to get an independant distiller in Ireland to produce him a whisky. It came out two years ago and he uses it in his pubs (which he had to "sell" due to rules about owning a liquor brand and bars) The whisky is called 2 Gingers and is a decent 4 year old that can run with regular Jameson. It is only distributed in Minnesota and is bottled by the Phillips company in Princeton, MN
    We had a great visit to Keegan's Irish Pub on the East Bank this past fall when visiting my son at U of Minn. Finished off their bottle of Middleton.

Guru

Wherever I've traveled around one of the things I keep an eye out for are Irish Pubs. You fellows are fortunate.

Disciple

Have seen Powers Johns Lane Irish starting to show up for sale online!

Thomas

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Grain Belt View Post
    Beam just bought the brand. According to http://www.startribune.com/business/...1.html?refer=y this article, they'd like it position it to compete with Jameson. They may have a long way to go. I remember thinking when Beam bought Cooley, and said that they were going to quit selling bulk whisky there, what would become of 2 Gingers, which was sourced from Cooley. But I guess it all worked out.
    Life's too short, and there's too much good whiskey within reach.

Guru

In the process of being worked out in a law suit.