Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Guru

Re: Rye article in Mental Floss

Shallow reporting, the company that imports the whisky from Canada is in the US and using the Vermont address sounds cooler.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by PaulO View Post
    I read the article at work, and don't have it in front of me. I liked the article. One thing I wasn't sure of; isn't Whistle Pig distilled in Canada? Nothing wrong with that, but the article says from Vermont. I thought it was made in Canada, bottled in the US?
    Can't speak to more recent releases but that was certainly the case with the original releases (theorized to be Alberta Distillers, one of a few places known to have a plethora of 100% rye on hand). This is thought to be the same source as the original Jefferson's Rye as well.

I would think it likely that all WP is from the same source. WP is, or least was, bottled in Vermont.

Would seem to say more about the author of the article who didn't seem to do their homework. Shocking of course...
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Shallow reporting, the company that imports the whisky from Canada is in the US and using the Vermont address sounds cooler.
    Oops! Didn't see that this was already covered as it was hiding on the next page.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Connoisseur

Well all of ours is made by me in Burdett, NY. Winnie and Martha just show up every now and then. Must be where he honey comes from.

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    Can't speak to more recent releases but that was certainly the case with the original releases (theorized to be Alberta Distillers, one of a few places known to have a plethora of 100% rye on hand). This is thought to be the same source as the original Jefferson's Rye as well.

I would think it likely that all WP is from the same source. WP is, or least was, bottled in Vermont.

Would seem to say more about the author of the article who didn't seem to do their homework. Shocking of course...
    Wasn't WP starting to actually make stuff in vermont, but it was still in the aging process, so still sourcing from Canada?? read that somewhere i think.

Guru

I don't believe there's been any activity taken in Vermont to actually product whisky, in fact the major players seem to have had a falling out amongst themselves.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I don't think Vermont is in the picture any longer. Pickerell is now at Hillrock in New York as his primary interest. He may still have an interest in WP but the micro-distillery in Vermont is definitely not happening, much like the Angel's Envy microdistillery and several others. In fact, although several have talked about it, the only non-distiller producer who has actually put a micro-distillery into operation is Pogue.

Although you'll never get anyone in the know to confirm it, Beam's Alberta Distillers in Winnipeg is the source for Whistle Pig.
    Last edited by cowdery; 02-25-2013 at 11:03.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Although you'll never get anyone in the know to confirm it, Beam's Alberta Distillers in Winnipeg is the source for Whistle Pig.
    I don't know about that, WP doesn't taste anything like Jim Beam Rye.

Disciple

Rye article in Mental Floss

Quote Originally Posted by Lazer View Post
    I don't know about that, WP doesn't taste anything like Jim Beam Rye.
    Not sure if this is just a joke but...
    Beam owns Alberta Distillers in Winnipeg. This is the likely source of WP. They also, of course, own a distillery in Clermont, where they make Jim Beam Rye.
    Jim

Guru

I know, I know, it's (WP) made in Canada, but can anyone say what a 10 year old 100 proof Jim Beam rye tastes like?