Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Administrator in exile

Re: Are you guys STILL drinking tonight??

Old Forester 100 proof Black Diamond label. I brought this, along with the WT12, to the gazebo on Friday night. No one touched it. I guess with WT12, Park Avenue Van Winkle and "Kentucky Crown" nobody wanted to waste time with this one. I don't have any of the old label left to do a direct comparison, but if memory serves me this is the Old Forester that I once proclaimed as my favorite bourbon. I picked it up at Toddy's. This is the only place I have seen it, and Mark tells me that Toddy's had to special order it in time for the festival. I'm glad they did!

Guru

Popped open a bottle of Wathen's I bought at Liquor Barn during the festival earlier this evening. You guys were not kidding that this is some fantastic bourbon, I'm on my 4th pour now! Wathen's will definately see more of my business in the future. The finish just amazes me on this one...

Connoisseur

Popped open a bottle of Wathen's I bought at Liquor Barn during the festival earlier this evening. You guys were not kidding that this is some fantaastic bourbon, I'm on my 4th pour now!
    Man, I totally agree. I picked up my first bottle of Wathen's while visiting Kentucky in June (I haven't found it out here in California) and immediately bought several more bottle after I tried it. A rich, sweet, smooth, distinctive taste!!

Administrator in exile

Evan Williams Millennium Single Barrel. I tried this for the first time Friday night at the Gazebo. My initial impression was that it was a good bourbon, but that was after a few drinks from various bottles on the table. Well, thanks to Cliff that bottle ended up in my collection and I am just now getting a good, unadulterated taste of it. I must say that this is one of the smoothest bourbons I have ever tasted. And blueberries; lots of blueberries in here. Fantastic stuff in a neat decanter. Not the best Evan Williams I have tasted but better than any of the single barrel vintages.

Taster

I'm having some Old Rip Van Winkle Old Time Rye 12 y.o.
    I found two bottles of this nectar, on a pass through
    Kentucky.

Administrator in exile

Where? If you don't mind me asking. Is this your first experience with the 12yo rye? I wish I could find more. I have less than half a bottle

Disciple

Tonight I had my first few swigs of Rock Hill Farms SB, and dare I say I notice a (quite favorable) family resemblance to one of the best whiskies there is, Eagle Rare 17 (?!??). It seems to have similar polish in taste and while I cant put words to it at the moment I seem to detect a lot of similarities (especially how the woodiness I taste balances of the underlying sweetness) I know all this sounds kinda snooty but the gist of it is, after my first glass I must say this shit is good.

TomC

Taster

Jeff
    I found one bottle in Paducah and the other in Louisville.
    I bought them in upscale stores. One was liquor Barn on the east side of Louisville. Party Mart in the Paducah area. I only found two bottles. If i find another bottle i'll save it for you.
    P.S. in the Paducah area, Roof Brothers stores have a good selection of spirits and they give a discount on 6 or more bottles, mix or match.

Virtuoso

Damn. I wanted to check the LB in east L'ville off 265 back in August. I just never got a chance to get out that way.

I checked other places in the Poplar Level, Eastern Parkway area, but found none.

Taster

That's the store!! They had one lonely bottle on the shelf.
    I was surprised to find one bottle, let alone two. I was looking for Stagg and OFBB, I found neither.