Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Disciple

Re: is barrel-finished bourbon a mistake?

I enjoy a finished bourbon from time to time,but I find I tire of them rather quickly.I do enjoy the likes of the Bowman,PHC and AA when the mood does strike me they are all quite enjoyable.
    "To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human."
    Larry Wachowski

Novice

I'm a big fan of finished bourbon when done correctly. I think Angels Envy is a solid bourbon and love 46. I did however have some Dryfly Port finished Wheat Whiskey recently and have to say it was just awful
    I've got more whiskey than I need but not nearly as much as I'd like

-
    AmericanWhiskeyReviews -

Guru

To me they are what they are, just something different. I don't feel a good Bourbon needs a 'finish' but the process adds a flavor dimension the whisky wouldn't otherwise have, so, to each his own.

Connoisseur

I don't think finished bourbon is a mistake, some people like it. The mistake is the absurd price that seems to be attached to it, e.g. Angel's Envy CS.
    Last edited by LostBottle; 02-27-2013 at 17:20.

Enthusiast

A friend of mine told me about Angels Envy after he had some at either a wedding or bachelor party. I looked into it, and found out it was finished in port barrels, which displeased me. This friend of mine managed to talk me into splitting a bottle with him (about $49-50 in MI), and I was prepared to be very disappointed by a bourbon that tasted like it was contaminated with port. To my great surprise, it tasted very good, and I bought his half of the bottle.

With that said, I have to agree with Squire and William; it seems like a gimmick that serves as an excuse to charge way more than they otherwise could get away with charging.

Guru

A gimmick when it's used to disguise flaws in a whisky, certainly, but I believe the Henderson's are putting out a quality product with Angel's Envy, just trying to create something different to find a market segment. Not for me though, not at that price anyway.

Disciple

I like MM46, and I really like Woodford 2O, although it's too pricey. Pritchard's Double Barrel is a keeper in my book too.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by LostBottle View Post
    I don't think finished bourbon is a mistake, some people like it. The mistake is the absurd price that seems to be attached to it, e.g. Angel's Envy CS.
    I'm not speaking for or against any particular product, but I imagine yield loss creates a need for a higher price point. After losing to the angels for a few years, they probably lose another 10% immediately upon entry into the second barrel.

Connoisseur

Here's a better question, why do "barrel finished" bourbons only age 6 - 8 months in the 'new barrel?' Is there a law against it aging longer? Scotch uses used barrels in general and lets them age 10 + years. I think bourbon would start to see more benefit from those finishing barrels if it spent more time in them. I like the 2011 PHC, but having tasted only 1 cognac (Hennessy Privilege) I can't taste the influence. Not sure I want to blow my bourbon budget on a bunch of cognac I might never drink.
    |-o-| [-o-] |-o-| "I'm on the leader"

Disciple

is barrel-finished bourbon a mistake?

Quote Originally Posted by Bmac View Post
    Here's a better question, why do "barrel finished" bourbons only age 6 - 8 months in the 'new barrel?' Is there a law against it aging longer? Scotch uses used barrels in general and lets them age 10 + years. I think bourbon would start to see more benefit from those finishing barrels if it spent more time in them. I like the 2011 PHC, but having tasted only 1 cognac (Hennessy Privilege) I can't taste the influence. Not sure I want to blow my bourbon budget on a bunch of cognac I might never drink.
    There are plenty of scotches that are finished in a similar way to these bourbons (the Glenmorangie line provides several examples.) Bourbon can't be entirely aged in used cooperage the way other scotches are - 'cause then it couldn't be called bourbon.
    Jim