Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: is barrel-finished bourbon a mistake?

The only way I think it could be a "mistake" would be to take a good whiskey and make it bad. That would be evidenced by lack of sales and poor reviews. Different doesn't alway men bad. It's the whole eye of the beholder thing. A bourbon by any other name, wouldn't be from Kentucky.
    "You can't claim to have been drinkin all day if you don't start first thing in the mornin."

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Finishes aren't a way to make bourbon, they're a way to use bourbon to make a unique drink.

Enthusiast

I just don't think bourbon "takes" a finish the way scotch does and I am not excited about these products. I called it a mistake because I think companies could get more mileage out of investments in age and proof experiments rather than buying French Oak staves to put in their barrels. Maker's barrel proof? Maker's 15/107, would it taste like Pappy 15? I'd be interested in knowing those answers much more than what does Wild Turkey sherry cask taste like. Just my opinion, but that is why I called it a mistake.
    -SOB-

Taster

I'm excited about these new finished bourbons. It brings a whole new avenue of bourbons to explore. I don't have to like everyone; it's the journey that's fun.

Guru

It really sounds like a premixed cocktail doesn't it.

Connoisseur

As someone who makes his livelihood selling whiskey in a glass, I find the finishes very exciting. My first exposure to finishing was Wild Turkey Sherry Signature, which when I was first getting into bourbon was a go to desert drink, perfect for sharing with the delicate sensibilities of my date. When Angel's envy was first launched their huge marketing push brought folks in asking about it. I have been successful in delivering this spirit to people who until until recently would have never tried a bourbon with out cola added. Beer enthusiasts have gotten excited about the New Holland Dragon's Milk finished Bourbon. These are both "gateway" bourbons to bring more people to our fold. New Holland certainly took juice I would not normally enjoy and turned it into something I'm proud to serve. Maybe the finished in ...... casks could be a great solution for spirits from smaller distilleries. Bourbons we may not care for because they are put to bottle too early could be a bit more palatable and worth the high price when given a finish.

Guru

Good points Brett, Bourbon is, after all, a big tent.

Advanced Taster

Like the Makers 46 but hate Angel's Envy..

Disciple

It's only a mistake if the bourbon tastes worse when it comes out of the finishing barrel than when it goes in.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Wait until you taste the Angel's Envy rye. It's LDI rye, finished in rum casks, except the rum casks are French oak and originally held Cognac. So Cognac, then rum, then rye, and it spent one year in the finishing cask. It's like a supercharged version of Maker's 46, like maybe Maker's 46,000.