Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Howdy From Georgia

Decatur, to be a bit more specific.

Looking forward to being part of the forum. I've been a bourbon guy for years, but just got into trying newer things and appreciating some different of the different offerings. I usually drink it neat, through a simple old fashioned is a nice to come home to.

As far as tastes go, I'd have to say that right now Weller 12 is my favorite wheater, Old Granddad 114 and Elmer T Lee are neck and neck for favorite "traditional" bourbon, and Rittenhouse is my go to rye. Only one I can't stand 1792, something about it just completely disagrees with my tastes.

Cheers

Guru

Re: Howdy From Georgia

Welcome aboard ramblinman, you'll find good company here. Do drop by the chat room some evening and introduce yourself, the icon is on the lower left hand corner of your screen.

Guru

Welcome ramblinman!
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Connoisseur

Welcome to our madhouse of bourbon fun!
    Richard
    GBS Member rounding out the top 5
    Are you a Whisk(e)y Apostle?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ramblinman View Post
    Decatur, to be a bit more specific.

Looking forward to being part of the forum. I've been a bourbon guy for years, but just got into trying newer things and appreciating some different of the different offerings. I usually drink it neat, through a simple old fashioned is a nice to come home to.

As far as tastes go, I'd have to say that right now Weller 12 is my favorite wheater, Old Granddad 114 and Elmer T Lee are neck and neck for favorite "traditional" bourbon, and Rittenhouse is my go to rye. Only one I can't stand 1792, something about it just completely disagrees with my tastes.

Cheers
    Welcome, and good taste! I feel the same way about Weller 12 as you do the 1792. We may be in the minority there.

Guru

Lived in Tucker for a few years. Nice place to be! Welcome!

Enthusiast

Thanks all for the warm welcome. I know I've seen quite a few folks on here that live in or around Atlanta. Anyone recommend a good whiskey bar close by to try some of the more hard to find things?

I know Mac Mcgees on the square in Decatur, and intent to spend a Saturday afternoon there with a friend of mine soon, but any other places worth checking out for interesting/quality stock?

Connoisseur

Welcome ramblinman (love the handle). You are right that Mac McGees has a great selection. Also try the Family Dog (Va Highlands/Morningside) and Local Three (Buckhead), which both have great selections and great food as well. And, you should also come to a Georgia Bourbon Society meeting at smokinjoe's place, which is easily the best selection you will ever see!

Connoisseur

Howdy Ramblinman.
    My son lives in Georgia! He's in Marietta. I see he gave you a welcome (darryld911). I echo that; although I'm Brand-Damned New to these forums myself! I live in SE Michigan. I hope you find your way around these forums and have great fun with your Bourbons. I too, am not a big fan of 1792; I find it's too 'clean' for me. I like a little dirt and grime with my spirits. Many I've heard from like the sharpened taste of it; I do not; at least not as much as, say; Noah's Mill. Nice and dirty! Give it a try, if you can find it.

Virtuoso

Howdy and welcome from another Michigan guy.

Glad to have you here.

Best regards, Tony