Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Advanced Taster

Re: Howdy From Georgia

Quote Originally Posted by Richnimrod View Post
    Howdy Ramblinman.
    My son lives in Georgia! He's in Marietta. I see he gave you a welcome (darryld911). I echo that; although I'm Brand-Damned New to these forums myself! I live in SE Michigan. I hope you find your way around these forums and have great fun with your Bourbons. I too, am not a big fan of 1792; I find it's too 'clean' for me. I like a little dirt and grime with my spirits. Many I've heard from like the sharpened taste of it; I do not; at least not as much as, say; Noah's Mill. Nice and dirty! Give it a try, if you can find it.
    I think you hit the nail on the head with describing it as overly sharp. I haven't really had any good words to describe it, short of cheese grater on the tongue, but sharp seems spot on. I think I might have to get a small pour from that bottle tonight to make sure its matching up with what I'm remembering.

Takes me a year to get through a bottle of it, pouring for others and hoping they enjoy it more than I do. But it never fails that someone thinks its a great looking bottle and decides to give one for my birthday, or a host gift when we have a big party at our house. Can't complain though, even if they have bad taste they're still great friends

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Welcome aboard, RM! I hope you enjoy your time here. I wish I had read your intro earlier, as I was at Mac McGee's just last night with a few other SBer's. Well, I look forward to hearing you tell about your journey through Bourbonia, and meeting you in person, since you're in the area. You wouldn't be going to the Beer, Bourbon & BBQ Festival at Atlantic Station on Saturday, would you?

Again, Welcome!

JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    Welcome aboard, RM! I hope you enjoy your time here. I wish I had read your intro earlier, as I was at Mac McGee's just last night with a few other SBer's. Well, I look forward to hearing you tell about your journey through Bourbonia, and meeting you in person, since you're in the area. You wouldn't be going to the Beer, Bourbon & BBQ Festival at Atlantic Station on Saturday, would you?

Again, Welcome!

I look forward to that as well, I've gotta hear more about this Georgia Bourbon Society .

Sadly, not making the festival this weekend. I looked at doing it, but didn't work out with some other commitments. Also looked a bit expensive for what it was, is it worth it? I've been burned by festivals before with too many people and not enough food/drink.

Enthusiast

Welcome to SB Ramblinman.

Plenty of GA folks on the sight, and look forward to meeting you at the next GBS event!!
    "Civilization begins with distillation."

William Faulkner

Disciple

Welcome to the site!
    Jack
    GBS Member #3 (Sorry Dawn!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pieface
    I think i'm god but I'll get a confirmation and go from there

Quote Originally Posted by ramblinman View Post
    I look forward to that as well, I've gotta hear more about this Georgia Bourbon Society .

Sadly, not making the festival this weekend. I looked at doing it, but didn't work out with some other commitments. Also looked a bit expensive for what it was, is it worth it? I've been burned by festivals before with too many people and not enough food/drink.
    Two important things to know about GBS. 1. Bourbon Supreme 2. We have a goat.

Edited to add: 3. And, a pyromaniacal member who can piss fire...

I went to the BB&B lst year, and really had a great time. At the event, they said the response was so great, they were going to move it to a larger area within ATL STA for 2013. But, didn't have a problem getting food or drink. Will see this year, though. Am doing the VIP again this year. Last year it was well worth it. I'm hoping the event is still good, but it looks like the weather is going to be cold. But, the whiskey will take care of that, hopefully!

Last edited by smokinjoe; 02-27-2013 at 19:40.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

Guru

welcome to SB - you're in good company here

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    Two important things to know about GBS. 1. Bourbon Supreme 2. We have a goat.

Edited to add: 3. And, a pyromaniacal member who can piss fire...

I went to the BB&B lst year, and really had a great time. At the event, they said the response was so great, they were going to move it to a larger area within ATL STA for 2013. But, didn't have a problem getting food or drink. Will see this year, though. Am doing the VIP again this year. Last year it was well worth it. I'm hoping the event is still good, but it looks like the weather is going to be cold. But, the whiskey will take care of that, hopefully!

Another goat? Is this like joining a fraternity again?

Seriously how was the BB&B festival, besides being frigid?

Quote Originally Posted by ramblinman View Post
    Another goat? Is this like joining a fraternity again?

Seriously how was the BB&B festival, besides being frigid?
    Sorta... But, we had to change over to the Bourbon Supreme for the GBS Hazing Ritual, because Jack (JCG9779) kept taking the goat home with him after each class initiation... When he said he had friends who wanted to join...well, we had to come up with Plan B...Otherwise, PETA would be calling...

Yeah brother, it was cold. But, that didn't seem to keep the people away. It was packed. And, the venue was expanded this year because of the overwhelming crowd, last year...Whiskey selection was good, though Beam was missing. This is surprising in that they had a big presence last year. Beer selection was OK, but I'll admit that I didn't hit much of it due to the low temps. Whiskies I hit: Blanton's, EWSB 2013, Four Roses Single Barrel & Small Batch, Old Forester Signature, Templeton Rye (actually enjoyed screwing with the guy who was well versed in the Potemkin Story. ), HW Campfire & American Prairie(?), and a few others. Decent selection, I'll admit. BBQ was nice on such a cold day.

Biggest disappointment was the VIP Tent. Last year we hit Gold, as the VIP was truly exclusive, and not mobbed. Hit bottles of Pappy 23 hard, and had our fill of food. This year, it was the opposite. They obviously over-sold the VIP's, and had to allocate the number of people into the tent. The line was perpetually 200 people long, and didn't lessen until the whiskey and food inside was gone. When we got in, hardly anything to eat...and could only gaze longingly at the empty bottles of WT Tradition, Pappy 23, etc.... Oh, well, ya win some, ya lose some...
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.