Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: Greetings from Balcones Distillery

Oh, I should mention, we only do tours M-F between 10am-4pm. I also need to warn you that Chip will be in the UK most of March so you'll want to make your way soon if possible

Guru

Welcome Winston. Do you make any bourbon? If not, do you plan to?

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by smknjoe View Post
    Welcome Winston. Do you make any bourbon? If not, do you plan to?
    I'll answer for Winston before he goes on some rant about how technically their corn whiskey could be called bourbon

The answer is not yet.
    Last edited by wadewood; 02-27-2013 at 15:00.

Enthusiast

I guess I can spill the beans here. We have a bourbon coming out for our fifth anniversary series.

It's a single barrel, cask strength (~64%), 100% blue corn Texas straight bourbon. The distillate was filled into a new charred 60-gallon cask over 2 years ago.

I do consider myself a connoisseur of bourbons, and in my sincere opinion, it's fan-freaking-tasting. Timd and a few others can back me up on this.

This is largely just a one-off release and will be limited to about 150 bottles world wide, as we only made 1 barrel, same as the other 5A releases.

In the long run, we may make bourbon more regularly, but that's likely not until after we build our new distillery up the street.

I think the majority of it will be released in Texas with a small allocation going to NY, CA and the UK.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by wadewood View Post
    I'll answer for Winston before he goes on some rant about how technically their corn whiskey could be called bourbon

The answer is no.
    oops, I didn't see this

Guru

I didn't see any on their site but that doesn't mean they aren't planning on it. Especially, since they seem to have everything ready to go. Thanks Wade!

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Balcones Winston View Post
    I guess I can spill the beans here. We have a bourbon coming out for our fifth anniversary series.

It's a single barrel, cask strength (~64%), 100% blue corn Texas straight bourbon. The distillate was filled into a new charred 60-gallon cask over 2 years ago.

I do consider myself a connoisseur of bourbons, and in my sincere opinion, it's fan-freaking-tasting. Timd and a few others can back me up on this.

This is largely just a one-off release and will be limited to about 150 bottles world wide, as we only made 1 barrel, same as the other 5A releases.

In the long run, we may make bourbon more regularly, but that's likely not until after we build our new distillery up the street.

I think the majority of it will be released in Texas with a small allocation going to NY, CA and the UK.
    I didn't see any on their site but that doesn't mean they aren't planning on it. Especially, since they seem to have everything ready to go. Thanks Wade!

$hit! See, now I'm glad I asked. Sounds good. Since I'm not much of a scotch drinker I'll be looking forward to this one.

Enthusiast

$hit! See, now I'm glad I asked. Sounds good. Since I'm not much of a scotch drinker I'll be looking forward to this one.
    I take it this is in reference to our single malt? It's not a scotchy tasting malt, sweeter and milder with more barrel character than most Scottish malts.

Come to Spec's downtown next Tuesday, I'll be there tasting the Balcones range and I might have some of the bourbon too.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Balcones Winston View Post
    I take it this is in reference to our single malt? It's not a scotchy tasting malt, sweeter and milder with more barrel character than most Scottish malts.

Come to Spec's downtown next Tuesday, I'll be there tasting the Balcones range and I might have some of the bourbon too.
    Thanks. I'll see if I can swing by...I'm sure there's something I need to buy...hmm...

Enthusiast

Thanks. I'll see if I can swing by...I'm sure there's something I need to buy...hmm...
    Well, it's a Texas whiskey feature, so at the very least you can try the best (and worst) of Texas whiskey!