Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Hello from Cleveland

Hello SB from Cleveland!

Like a lot of others, I was a bourbon fan in college, but mostly with coke or in shots. As I got older I developed a taste for vodka gimlets, until I had a Manhattan with my dad about a year ago. Those reminded me of how much I enjoyed the flavors of bourbon.

I came into a small amount of money thanks to fantasy football this year and told my wife I wanted $150, and the rest could go into the bank. I was going to buy a “good” bottle of bourbon, but I had no idea what to buy. After a couple of Google searches, enter SB…and the bourbon vortex that goes with it. Since then I have been lurking on the boards for a month now anxiously awaiting my account to be validated. I have learned a lot. Especially that one $150 bourbon was not the way to go, but rather to spread that money out over many bottles.

I am lucky that I have a friend that visits the Cincy/N. Kentucky area frequently, so I have been able to pick some 375 ml and 50 ml bottles not available in Ohio. This helped me expand my sampling and collection a bit more efficiently. To date I have ERSB, MM, BT, RR90, Blanton, KC, WR, ETL, FRSB, OF, Larceny, Bookers and Basil Hayden. I have also tried some WTRB. Needless to say I have gone a wee bit over my $150 limit! To date my favorites are FRSB, ERSB and Larceny.

Also, thanks again to SB for this idea, I stumbled upon a thread about barrel aged cocktails. I have also just bottled just under 3L of 14 day barrel aged MM Manhattans. Thanks again to my old man who bought me that barrel 7 years ago that I never knew what to do with…now he wants one!

Thanks to all you guys/gals for your past posts, and I am sure for future posts. I have already learned a lot, and I know there is more to come. If you have any suggestions for other bourbons based I what I have and favorites I would appreciate your thoughts.

I look forward to being part of this great community. Thanks again.

Guru

Re: Hello from Cleveland

Good morning rndenks, welcome aboard. Since you asked I'll recommend Very Old Barton and Old Grand Dad, both of which I sample occasionally. Drop by and visit with us in the chatroom in the evenings, the icon is located in the lower left hand corner of your screen. Look forward to your contributions.

Virtuoso

Howdy and welcome from up in Michigan glad to have you here.

One of these days I am going to get myself one of those little barrels to make some of my own barrel aged cocktails as well.

Best regards, Tony

Guru

Welcome. You have been doing your homework. Looks like you know the acronyms like the back of your hand.

Advanced Taster

Thanks Squire. I will keep an eye out for Very Old Barton and Old Grand Dad when I am ready to make my next purchase.

Thanks Tony. I grew up in NW Ohio just South of the border, and still make it back that way quite a bit. I try to make it north of the border for at least one Wings game and one UM football game a year. Maybe I'll bring you a sample some time.

Also thanks to Smknjoe. I have been working on the acronyms, but admit that I get tripped up often. You all catch me on some unusual ones still.

Advanced Taster

Welcome to the site. I am from the Akron area so maybe we can swap helpful hints on where to find the few good bottles that make it to our state.

Trippah and Admin

Welcome to the site. There are a few other members here from NE Ahia and I'm out in Lake County. What part of the area are you in?
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Advanced Taster

Thanks Ox. I am in Medina County.

I do make it up to Lake County now and again for work. Let me know if there are any good bourbon huants up your way I need to check out.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Welcome aboard, rnd! Always good to see another Ahian join in. Y'all are getting enough folks to have a shindig meet-up! I hope you enjoy your time here! And, if you ever begin to get down on your great State's bourbon selection, just take heart in the fact that you have one of the greatest craft beer breweries anywhere, in Great Lakes. Luv me some Dortmunder Gold...

JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Advanced Taster

Welcome rndenks -- good to see another bourbon fan from the North Coast. Maybe we can get an SB sampler in the Cleveland area some time.