Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from NYC

Apprentice

Hello from NYC

Hello Everyone. I'm new to the forum and looking forward to chatting with you all and learning more about my favorite spirit. I'm 29 and live in NYC. I've been a whiskey drinker since college but back then it was more along the lines of drinking as much Kentucky Gentleman as possible at Saturday tailgates than actually tasting the whiskey. I was never really interested in or began to understand in the nuances of different whiskeys until the last couple years and I still have much to learn. I've been reading up as much as I can (just about finished with Chuck Cowdery's "Bourbon Straight") and following a few different blogs along with this forum.

Right now I'm on the hunt for a bottle of the 84 proof Maker's but have been unsuccessful. I haven't been calling every store on the island but Every liquor store I've asked about it has no clue what I'm talking about and responds with "Oh they changed their mind" I'm wondering if any of the stuff made it up here. Is there anybody out there in the tri-state area who has managed to find some?

Thanks guys and hello again!

Guru

Re: Hello from NYC

Hello Gatsby, welcome aboard. Apparently they made a fair amount of the 84 proof and you should be able to get some eventually. As for chatting with us we have a chat room on this Board and a few of us gather there most evenings. Bourbon is just one of the topics, come join in, the chat icon is located in the lower left hand corner of your screen.

Advanced Taster

Just go to some stores, they're sitting on the shelf!

Enthusiast

Welcome gatsby, you will find most clerks know about MM 84 but not about their own stock. It's best to start going to the stores and looking. If you find some be sure to tell everyone here where it is. Good luck,
    "You can't claim to have been drinkin all day if you don't start first thing in the mornin."

Virtuoso

Good Day Gatsby and welcome from Michigan.

Glad to have you here.

Best regards, Tony

Apprentice

Thanks for the replies. By "Chat" I meant post/read on the forum but thanks for the heads-up on the chat room feature. I've been frequently stopping into stores to see/ask what they have but haven't found any yet. I'll stay on it and keep you all informed.

Connoisseur

Gatsby, welcome from another New Yorker.

I don't have any kind of official word on this, but I don't think any 84 proof MM made it to NYC. I have not seen it in any of the bigger stores that turn over the most, which is where I would expect to find it. I asked someone at my fave store and they said they wouldn't be getting any.
    There are two ways of getting home; and one of them is to stay there. - GK Chesterton

Advanced Taster

Welcome aboard Gatsby...from another newbie to SB.

If you can't find it in the stores check online. I think I just saw it somewhere...maybe TPS...marketed as a "collectors bottle". How nice of MM!

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Parkersback View Post
    Gatsby, welcome from another New Yorker.

I don't have any kind of official word on this, but I don't think any 84 proof MM made it to NYC. I have not seen it in any of the bigger stores that turn over the most, which is where I would expect to find it. I asked someone at my fave store and they said they wouldn't be getting any.
    That's what I've been thinking. Most of the stores I've been to, even the ones with large american whiskey selections, have said they didn't even know they made any 84 proof and do not think they will be getting any.

Guru

Then head South to the Sampler my man, the Ancestral Home of Bourbon awaits.