Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello!

Taster

Hello!

Hello from Austin,

I'm a suburban housewife and I'm looking for where I can find a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle this month for my husband's birthday. He really likes to drink bourbon and coke so I'm looking for the BEST whiskey to give him to mix with coke!

Seriously, I'm just kidding. Figured you guys would appreciate that. My name is Tony and I'm a fellow bourbon nerd who lives in Austin and works at the Capitol. I've been reading the forums for about a year now and finally signed up so that I can post.

I've got a pretty good collection of bourbon at the house -- quite a few BTAC, some Pappy, some Jefferson's, some ... actually, its quite a bit so I won't go through it all. I have a bit of a buying habit. My favorites lately have been this year's PHC, this year's ER17 and a bottle of the FRSB 100th Anniversary 17 year OBSV.

I recently was inspired to do a little dusty hunting before session and found a bottle of WTAS (the mint notes are great) and some old UD bottles of Old Charter 8 but not much more other than that.

I'm hoping to make a bit of a pilgrimmage to Kentucky this summer or fall after the session. I went through Ky a couple of years back and visited the Maker's Mark Distillery but it was right as I was really getting into whisky and before I really knew anything. I'd much rather see Four Roses or Heaven Hill at this point.

Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself and say hello. I lover reading the forums. I'll share any interesting news or good finds.

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

Re: Hello!

Welcome! If you are looking for old dusties in Austin, you probably will not have much luck. The WTAS is a modern dusty. We have a long time very knowledgeable member in Austin, Mozilla, but don't think he visits the site anymore. He loved his old bottom shelf dusty bourbons and I think cleared Austin out of that.

Virtuoso

Good day and welcome from another Tony.

Glad to have you here.

Best regards, Tony

Guru

Hello!

Welcome to SB! I lived down there for a bit during the Internet boom - lots of good people here to learn from.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Disciple

Welcome. If you're looking to go to 4R, and you are really interested in the process, make sure they aren't on a seasonal shutdown. I've yet to see stills operating.

Guru

Welcome aboard Tony, look forward to your contributions. Come visit us in the chatroom, the icon is located on the lower left hand corner of your screen.

Taster

I just caught the end of the Twin Liquors dollar sale today.($5-$10-$20 discounts on everything.) I was blown away to find two bottles of OWA w the age statement. (I've had my eyes peeled for it for a while.) The bottle appears to be from '07. Obviously I picked them both up. I'd heard a lot about them and it isn't disappointing, especially at the discount.

I also decided to try the new Bulleit 10yr at $30. I'll share my thoughts on that one for sure.

Taster

The Buleit 10 is pretty good. Very different. It has plenty of flavor, but its light and delicate; like a whisper. This is much better than I expected. I expected it to be a bit of marketing, but its a very unique product.

Enthusiast

ATX, was the Bulleit 10 on sale for $30, or is that the normal price there? It's $45 here.

Enthusiast

Welcome to the gang Tony.