This afternoon my wife drove down to Kentucky to visit some relatives. Perhaps feeling somewhat guilty because I was spending the day cleaning out the garage and watching the kids she surprised me by picking up five different bottles of bourbon on the way home. Her idea was to pick up several inexpensive bottles of bourbon that she thought I had not tried yet. She did it! The five bottles she purchased were Old Weller Antique 107, Rebel Yell, Heaven Hill Ultra Deluxe, Old Bardstown, and Cabin Still.

So I helped myself to some of the Rebel Yell and lined up the bottles at the back of our bar. Being new to them, I read the tasting notes on these bourbons from a couple of books we keep at the bar. We got a kick from the Gary and Mardee Regan’s The Bourbon Companion’s review of Cabin Still. They summarized the Cabin Still bourbon with the following statement, “A flat, herbaceous nose with oak notes, the body is thin, leaning to watery, and the palate is flat and vegetal; the finish is hot. Overall: If someone buys you this whiskey, and we hope they don’t, reserve it for the kitchen”.

Now that gets you wanting to try some. It didn’t even get the line that suggests you use it for mixed drinks. Well Peggy did buy me a bottle so I have a liter of the stuff to drink, but now do I need to get some more recipes that use bourbon?

Todd