Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Taster

Barrel Aging Cocktails at Home. Anyone else doing this?

I recently got my mini 2L barrel and have been enjoying barrel aged manhattans.

The juice has been in the barrel about 15 days and is absolutely delicious. As I drink, I have been refilling and tweaking it to taste. The original mix used a 4-1-3 dashes (Jeffersons Rye, Noilly Pratt Rouge, Peychards). As it ages I have put in a touch of Solerno Blood Orange (very small amount), Kicked it up with small amounts of OWA 107 and a little Woodford reserve to round it out a little. I have been doing this along with replenishing the Jeffersons, NP and Peychards as space allows. I gotta say IMHO the barrel aging and the slight modifications have really brought out something special.

I am thinking I will leave it in the barrel another week or two and then bottle in glass and move on to another recipe. I am thinking Negroni's or Aged Margarita's (Tequila and Grand Marnier only). Haven't decided yet. I have to say I am really liking the mini barrel and experimenting with these aged cocktails.

Anyone else playing around with a Mini Barrels? If so any reco's on recipes?

Connoisseur

Re: Barrel Aging Cocktails at Home. Anyone else doing this?

I found the barrel pretty useless for aging bourbon, so I keep a batch of Negronis going in my 2L barrel. I use equal parts Martin Miller's Westbourne gin, Carpano Antica, and either Campari or Gran Classico amaro (I alternate between them so I get a mixture). Once this batch runs out I might switch to Boulevardiers or Cocktail a la Louisiane.

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

I also had pretty poor results with my 5l barrel an aging bourbon. So, I'm aging soy sauce; filled it last April.

Taster

I heard that about aging bourbon so I did not even bother with the White Dog and went straight to the Manhattans and think it will only be used for aging cocktails.

I went to a high end restaurant a few weeks back and had a 30day Barrel aged Manhattan, They made it with Whistle Pig Rye, Carpano Antica and an unidentified bitters. This stuff was amazing and prompted my Barrel purchase shortly after. To this point I have really enjoyed the results from my own Manhattan concoction. I am thinking Negroni's will be next.

Advanced Taster

My dad bought me a 3L barrel probably 7 years ago while on a business trip to Mexico. He had tried some aged tequila out of a similar barrel, and liked it so much he thought I would enjoy aging my own tequila. I never actually got around to aging any in mine, but he aged some very good straight tequila in his. I stumbled upon the thread about this here on SB, and it dawned on me that I could unpack my barrel and get aging.

Last weekend I bottled my first batch of Manhattans. I used a ratio of 2:1:1 dash, of Makers Mark, Martini Rossi, Angostura Bitters. They were in the barrel for 12 days, and I bottled it because it was getting a strong “oak” flavor. It seems much smoother than a freshly made Manhattan. However, I did buy some more MM to taste the aged version head-to-head with the a freshly made cocktail, but came down with a bad cold before I could do the comparison. Maybe this weekend.

I plan on continuing my aging and trying different bourbons, ryes, bitters and ratios. I picked up some 375 ml bottles and tasting corks from a local home brew store to bottle the cocktails. I chose the smaller bottles because they were small enough that I could take one or two with me to a party, give one to my dad, etc. Also I plan to save one or two from each batch so down the road I can do a big tasting to compare all the batches. What a glorious day that will be!!!

Next batch will likely be FR Yellow Label or Rittenhouse (if I can find any). I would like to also try some blood orange bitters.

Happy Aging!

Guru

Would appreciate some tasting notes as you journey along.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Would appreciate some tasting notes as you journey along.
    Since you asked Squire...I will do a tasting comparing my aged Manhattans to a freshly made one this weekend. Maybe even post some pictures.

Disciple

4:2:2:1

Home-aged bourbon: store-bought apple brandy: vermouth: bitters made a great manhattan. (I recomend heavy bitters for those trying this.)

Connoisseur

Barrel Aging Cocktails at Home. Anyone else doing this?

I got a barrel kit from TPS about 18 months ago. I aged a rye white dig and it sucked. Aged a MBR black dog and it sucked. I then aged a manhattan and it was awesome. Used 3-1-6 dashes of bitters. It was fantastic!!!! Bourbon was 1849.

Mike

Apprentice

I got a 3L barrel a couple of months ago. I had read the dismal results of trying to age white dog in these small barrels, so I went straight to Manhattans. I used 2:1 Larceny and Martini sweet vermouth, but I over bittered my first batch. Second batch, again 2:1 Larceny:Martini easy on the bitters, and it was much better. The aging process made the cocktail was much smoother, but all of the flavors seemed to have had the edges rounded off.

I can report that I prefer a fresh Manhattan to an aged version so far. I like the 'bite' of the fresh cocktail. I get much more of the whiskey flavor from the fresh version.

I will continue to experiment however. Next I am going to start with a little higher proof whiskey - perhaps an OWA 107 to see if I can't keep some of the 'bite' that I enjoy.