Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: Barrel Aging Cocktails at Home. Anyone else doing this?

Quote Originally Posted by Beer&Bourbon View Post
    A number of bars downtown have been aging cocktails - mostly manhattans. I've really enjoyed how integrated the flavors are. It looks like some of you really pick up on the additional oak character, but I do wonder what differences would be noted between a mason jar aged manhattan vs. barrel-aged manhattan. I don't have a barrel so I encourage someone out there to try this and report back. If I get a small barrel, I'll post here with findings.
    In the name of science B&B, I will allocate a small portion of my next batch to jar. I will age that as long as I do the stuff in the barrel. I will happily report back with my findings whenever get around to my next batch.

Unless we hear back from others first regarding aging in a jar.

Advanced Taster

Awesome. I'm looking forward to how this turns out. I'll use these results to determine if I should invest in a barrel or just age in a mason jar. I realize that I already have mason jars so I'm going to start a batch this weekend aged for different lengths of time to determine if that itself makes any difference. I'll report back when this experiment is complete. Cheers!

Roger

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by aea6574 View Post
    Great stuff in here. Any thoughts on good places to get barrels? Is there a book or website that talks about the ways to do this? recipes? time in barrel and such?

Best regards, Tony
    I have only aged some home made corn based lightning, but I used a 2L barrel from http://oakbarrelsltd.com. It is very well made, their service is good and their instructions are easy to follow (including suggested aging times). I did make the mistake of taking the whisky out, waiting a couple of weeks and deciding to put it back in. I didn't re-swell the barrel and lost about 300ml through the barrel before I could get the rest back in the bottle. I filled it with water to swell it again, emptied that out and put the whisky back in there. It worked great again. I have noticed that they are only useful for a couple of runs. They lose that strong oak influence with each batch, as you would probably expect.

Connoisseur

Gonna order a barrel, too, but thought I'd start small. Ordered a couple of bottles and inserts. Unfortunately, I'm working 2 weeks from now and also busy the next, so I'm not gonna be able to experiment just yet. Maybe I'll start something the week I'm working for 2 weeks later.
    "A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
    LBJ

Connoisseur

Barrel Aging Cocktails at Home. Anyone else doing this?

Quote Originally Posted by bigtoys View Post
    Gonna order a barrel, too, but thought I'd start small. Ordered a couple of bottles and inserts. Unfortunately, I'm working 2 weeks from now and also busy the next, so I'm not gonna be able to experiment just yet. Maybe I'll start something the week I'm working for 2 weeks later.
    I bought the Wasmunds kit to age a rye a couple of years ago. That experiment never amounted to anything because BT said, small barrels makes lousy whiskey. Anyway, I did use it last year to age a Manhattan. It was fantastic. I have a Barton BIB manhattan concoction in it right now. Tasted it last night after two weeks and it isn't quite ready yet. Will probably give it another couple of weeks and try it again. I may move it outside to the garage to allow it to cycle a little more but I don't want a ton of evaporation.

Mike

Taster

I'd like to resurrect this because I have a few more questions I would love to get the guidance of those here who have experience.

Is it essential to fill the barrel to remove as much air as possible? If not, is there a minimum? 1/2 Full? 3/4? 1/4?

Once you get the aged cocktail to the "sweet spot" should it be bottled?

Since Vermouth is involved, should the juice be refrigerated after the time in the barrel?

Can sugars be added during the time in the barrel? I love my Maple Manhattan recipe and would like to try to age it.

Are there advantages to altering the temperature during barreling? Time spent inside (cooler) vs outside (much warmer here in Dallas)

I've ordered both a 1 and 2 liter barrels. Can't wait to get started on this. I have the High West 36th Vote and while it is pretty good, I think I can do much better! Would also love to hear other recipes you have tried.

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Connoisseur

Barrel Aging Cocktails at Home. Anyone else doing this?

The higher alcohol content prevents the vermouth from spoiling. I barrel age negroni, manhattan, and boulevardier. Once the fill level gets below 1/3 or it has been in for more than a month I'll usually dump into a bottle or decanter.

Guru

I have a 5 liter barrel in the attic of my garage (it's a big garage) I own in conjunction with Bonneamie in which we've been aging whiskeys and cocktails. The first cocktail (put into the barrel after it was used to age some peated malt spirit from Grand Traverse Distillery) was a manhattan. I don't remember what brands I used that time, but I used a 1:1:1 ratio of bourbon, rye, and sweet vermouth.After that I filled it with more manhattan mix. It was the same proportions, but I remember the brand this time: 1 Bulleit Rye, 1 Rittenhouse, 1 Old Granddad BiB, 1 Bulleit Bourbon, 2 Dolin vermouth. When it was where we wanted it, I decanted it into bottles. It turned out very well, as any of the people who tasted it at the get together at my house can testify. I didn't put any bitters into the barrel because I didn't want to do the math it get the right ratio and figured they could just be added to taste before drinking.

After that we refilled the barrel with the peated malt whiskey since neither of us was very happy about how it turned out. It was in there for most of the summer. It turned out pretty weird, but pretty tasty. It has a real nutty nose and taste and a fruity finish so I nicknamed it PB&J whiskey. The first company to come up with a manhattan-finished peated malt whiskey is getting sued by me.

Anyway, after the peated malt rebarreling, we decided to do a boulevardier. We used 1:1:1 ration again. 2 bottles Campari, 2 bottles Old Ezra 101, 2 bottles Noilly Pratt red vermouth (I went cheap because the Campari is so damn expensive). We are looking forward to the results!
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Fodowsky View Post
    I'd like to resurrect this because I have a few more questions I would love to get the guidance of those here who have experience.

Is it essential to fill the barrel to remove as much air as possible? If not, is there a minimum? 1/2 Full? 3/4? 1/4?
    As full as possible would be my recommendation.

Once you get the aged cocktail to the "sweet spot" should it be bottled?
    Yes. It's easy to just save the bottles that the stuff you put into the barrel came in.

Since Vermouth is involved, should the juice be refrigerated after the time in the barrel?
    No, because of what Trey said.

Can sugars be added during the time in the barrel? I love my Maple Manhattan recipe and would like to try to age it.
    Never tried that so I can't comment on it. Try it yourself and report back!

Are there advantages to altering the temperature during barreling? Time spent inside (cooler) vs outside (much warmer here in Dallas)
    Temperature variation is your friend. It helps the liquid inside move in and out of the layers of the wood. I have noticed a significant variation in how my garage barrel does in summer vs. winter. Ages much faster in the summer.

I've ordered both 1 and 2 liter barrels. Can't wait to get started on this. I have the High West 36th Vote and while it is pretty good, I think I can do much better! Would also love to hear other recipes you have tried.

Thanks in advance for your help!!
    See my post above. Good luck! I would also say that it took several fills before my barrel really started hitting its stride.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Taster

If beer counts then yes I barrel age at home.

Here is one of my brewing partners filling a buffalo trace barrel with our Home brew Imperial Stout.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011-11-20_18-42-49_327.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	22.5 KB 
ID:	16551

We aged it for a year in the barrel, Then we divided it into 10 5 gallon kegs and aged parts of it with other items after the barrel ageing. My favorite was the fresh toasted coconut, Tahitian vanilla bean and intelligentsia Espresso bean combo, it was pretty Epic.

Right now we have a 13% English Barleywine that has been in a Weller Special Reserve Barrel since April, we will probably keg and bottle it around Christmas, though it already tastes spectacular.