Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: Barrel Aging Cocktails at Home. Anyone else doing this?

Reading this post is giving me the itch to barrel another batch. That and I am down to my last bottle of my previous batch. I am interested in how Bigtoys batch tasted with FRYL? That was my going to be my next selection. Maybe give me something to do this weekend, so I might have them ready for Thanksgiving!!!

Taster

currently got three batches going. teqroni, brazilivardier and manhattan sitting in the barrel as we speak. will post a pic asap

Advanced Taster

Getting ready to mix up another batch of Manhattans for my barrel, and I need some help making my mind up on ingredients. My last batch was made with MM. I am sharing this batch with some neighbors, so I think I want to stay away from rye.

I am deciding between FRYL, Larceny, KC and ER10. Anyone want to help me pick?

Taster

i'd give 4ryw a try bc it's by far the cheapest and low-ish proof too which is a plus in barrel ageing

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by rndenks View Post
    Getting ready to mix up another batch of Manhattans for my barrel, and I need some help making my mind up on ingredients. My last batch was made with MM. I am sharing this batch with some neighbors, so I think I want to stay away from rye.

I am deciding between FRYL, Larceny, KC and ER10. Anyone want to help me pick?
    A barrel aged Manhattan will likely soften the rye component of the drink and might be a good way to introduce others to the joy of rye. Use a barely legal rye like the old standby, Ritt BIB, and see how it works. If you don't want 100 proof then there is always the "crown jewel" of WT, the 81 proof rye. Although personally I think I would want more proof for a barrel aged cocktail, not less.

Of the others the Four Roses is likely the highest in rye content with probably something around 25-30% depending on the blend that day so that would be my (reluctant) second choice.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Virtuoso

If your last one was based on MM I'd say try ER10 which is low-rye, but not sure how much barrel influence is picked up in the additional barrel aging that might make the cocktail too woody? While FRYL isn't low rye, it is low proof and likely not as old. I'd pick that, it would at least be a nice contrast in style to the MM blend you just did and the low proof would keep the rye influence from being very dominant - might provide a gentle enough transition from the MM version if that was a hit.
    Mark

Guru

Of course a low rye mash bill such as Old Charter might work. For mixing purposes I think Benchmark holds up right well and is not so rye froward as say Bulliet or Barton.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Advanced Taster

Thanks for the input.

I decided to go with the FRYL for a couple of reasons. First, I plan to save one bottle from each batch so I can do a side by side comparison down the road. The FRYL is close in proof to the MM, but I believe it is more of rye heavy bourbon than wheater (?). I think my next batch will be a full blown rye, and then I would like to do a high proof batch. It think that would give an interesting range of recipes.

Anyways, I am hoping to barrel next week, and I will post my thoughts when it is done.

Advanced Taster

Well I tasted my latest batch last night again, and I think I will be bottling it tonight. I went with the FRYL, and at a mix of 2:2:1. I tasted it twice over the two weeks, and my initial reaction both times is the FRYL seems too light (proof wise). I doubt I would go below 90 proof ever again.

Last night I tasted side by side with a pour from an non-barreled sample of the same recipe. There is no doubt that the barrel aged is mellower, well mingled and more oaky. By this I mean you taste the drink as one thing rather than tasting the sweetness of vermouth, the herbs of bitters, and the bourbon all separately in stages of the tasting. And the finish is very wooded and a bit dry, and that wood lingers too.

So excited to spend more time with a real pour of this over the weekend. I will report more tasting notes. Next batch will be a full blown rye!!!

Taster

Interesting article and taste test about economical barrel aging cocktails at home without barrels.

http://manmadediy.com/users/chris/po...arrel-required