Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Apprentice

Re: Barrel Aging Cocktails at Home. Anyone else doing this?

Thanks to this thread I ordered a one liter barrel to age Manhattans in. 8 days ago I mixed 750 ml of WT101 with 6 ounces of Noilly Prat Sweet(4:1) and 1 ounce of Angostura Bitters. I tasted it tonight and was surprised at how 'put together' it was. Very smooth with some added smoke and oak in the finish. It was like I had used a much more expensive bourbon to make the Manhattan. I think I will let it go till it has aged 2 weeks and then bottle it. I'm very happy with the the results so far. I would just like to increase the smoke and oak in the finish. I'm really liking what's there.

Any suggestions for my next aging trial? I'm open to any suggestions, whether you've tried it or just think it would work. How long do you think I should expect to age the next batch? 2 weeks like this one or three because the barrel is not new?
    Last edited by mhatzung; 01-19-2014 at 20:14.

Advanced Taster

I just finished my first batch of "barrel aged" Manhattans with one of those Tuthilltown bottle inserts. I used RRSmBSB, which I didn't find particularly complex or interesting on it's own. The Manhattan was fantastic, though. As mentioned previously in this thread, the cocktail becomes very unified and integrated in flavor. Mine had a great, long-lasting dry finish that I would never be able to get without barrel aging.

Quote Originally Posted by mhatzung View Post
    Any suggestions for my next aging trial? I'm open to any suggestions, whether you've tried it or just think it would work.
    I'm going to try some Willett 4-year SB Rye for my next batch. I have a feeling that high-rye, high-proof will work quite well with barrel aging.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    For some reason, I just couldn't resist doing this... Just had a ball filling my 1L barrel with a Vieux Carre...I am with no doubt, easily entertained...Now, I wait.
    BTW, the main 3 were: Ri1, Ferrand Ambre, and Vya.

Let the record show here, that I answered the question very helpfully...

And, if you're asking if I'm trying to be a Dick...The answer is...YES!!!!!!!
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    Let the record show here, that I answered the question very helpfully...

And, if you're asking if I'm trying to be a Dick...The answer is...YES!!!!!!!
    Joe, you crack me up.
    Jim

Taster

I just bottled a batch of Manhattans made with Knob Creek Maple Rye. Really nice!

Connoisseur

I have a three liter barrel filled with a mix of baby sazerac, rittenhouse, and half a bottle of WTR101, and a bottle of Dolin sweet vermouth. I skipped the bitters in the barrel as I like the way they taste too much. Boy is it easy to make a Manhattan now!

Fill a glass with a couple of cubes, grab the jar of Luxardo cherries, spoon up two with some juice, drop it in the glass, shake 5-6 times with Pechyaud's, and count to 5 while filling from the barrel. Stir and enjoy!
    "this hobby is supposed to be fun. When it stops being fun, check yourself, because you're doing it wrong." Charles Cowdery