Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Apprentice

Greetings from St. Louis

Hello Everyone,

I wanted to introduce myself. I have been reading this forum for about 8 months, and decided to join a couple of months ago. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading the threads and all the posts. It has been a great learning experience. It is now time for me to get involved, share my experiences, and learn more.

I grew up in Louisville, KY during the 70s and 80s and have been drinking bourbon all of my adult life (ok - some of my non-adult life also)

More recently I have been working to taste as many types and styles of whiskey as I can. As a result, like most of you, I have acquired quite a collection of bottles. My very understanding and indulgent wife recently made the suggestion that since we don't use our dinning room very much, we should convert it to a whiskey room! I'll post pics in the appropriate forum.

I look forward to contributing and participating.

Mark.....

Advanced Taster

Re: Greetings from St. Louis

Hey Mark. Welcome. I am an in-and-out poster of one year and have been drinking bourbon for only a year or so, but I'll offer you a welcome all the same.

We should PM about all of your favorite STL bourbon liquor stores. I grew up in STL but have lived in Columbia now for years, since well before I was 21. I am moving back there this summer for work and for the foreseeable future, and I don't know the commercial liquor scene there at all really. (STLbourbon (user) gave me some tips a while back about the Wine and Cheese Place and Friar Tucks, but that was a while ago).
    I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.
    ― Kurt Vonnegut

Guru

Welcome aboard Mark, look forward to your participation. You may wish to visit us in the chat room, there are a few of us there most evenings. The chat icon is located on the lower left hand corner of your screen.

Taster

welcome aboard Mark. I went to school out in St. Louis. Its a great town. I definitely miss a lot of my old food spots. though at the time i was not so into bourbon as to take note on the best stores. could be some good dusty hunting in some neighborhoods though, maybe north st. louis. if you ever make it up that way, stop by crown candy for some lunch too

Apprentice

I'm in St. Louis. I started looking for dusties 4 years ago on the north side. I've hit a lot (but by no means all) of the bullet proof glass type package stores. Didn't see anything dusty but a (1) bottle of EW Black that was 7yrs old but 86 proof. I never schmoozed with any of the cashiers because I was a little nervous and it didn't seem appropriate and I was alone.

That being said St Louis is a great bourbon town. The only thing missing is VOB BIB. EW black is always $9-12. Four roses yellow is always $13 or less. EW BIB is at a few spots. Plenty of OG 114, OWA 107 and the like. The selection of American whiskeys at almost every liquor store is rather diversified, and we have the wine and cheese place which frankly is a Mecca of sorts with only a 10% markup on liquor and a world class selection with a number of single barrel selections from buffalo trace, Jim beam and buffalo trace that they let their clientele taste and vote on.

Geez this sounds like and advertisement but well...I like the whiskey scene here.

Enthusiast

Welcome Mark, Know of any good BBQ in the St. Louis area?

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Meruck View Post
    Welcome Mark, Know of any good BBQ in the St. Louis area?
    That will generate some responses.

Welcome Mark. Come talk about BBQ and bourbon in the chatroom.

Virtuoso

Good day Mark and welcome from Michigan.

Best regards, Tony

Disciple

Nice intro Mark,welcome to the site and enjoy your time here.St Louis has quite a few stores to choose from and you have the benefit of C.Illinois also if you want to take a short weekend trip.
    "To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human."
    Larry Wachowski

Enthusiast

Bourbon and BBQ, they sure sound good together. Someone should figure a way to combine the two
    "You can't claim to have been drinkin all day if you don't start first thing in the mornin."