Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: old 1889 royal

Bourbonian of the Year 2004 and Guru

Re: old 1889 royal

OK Folks, I was wrong, Heaven Hill owns the label, Old 1889 ROYAL. They also own the Old 1889 BRAND yellow and white label that John posted. The saga continues----When I saw the picture of the bottle I knew it looked familiar. So tonight at work, I went to the label warehouse. I went through all the brown goods labels which is a job in itself. I had to leave but Gerrard kept looking for me. Two and 1/2 hours later he handed me the label and said is this what you are looking for? It was the label. The Heaven Hill, Old 1889 Royal label reads; Old 1889 Royal is handmade sour mash Bourbon. Taken from the finest golden grains and renowned limestone water from Nelson County Kentucky, it's given exciting life and golden age in new charred oak barrels for 12 years.

Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey 86 proof and bottled in Kentucky by the Old 1889 Distillery Co. at Bardstown. Its is bottled in squat at 750 with a standard gold cap.

Bill, your bottle is from Heaven Hill. The bar code tells me so. Look for a Julian date (small jet printed black letters printed very small on every bottle). Tell me the numbers and letters that you find-(on the side of the bottle not the bottom). This will tell me the date it was bottled at Heaven Hill.

Metalmans bottle "might be" before Heaven Hill bought the label. It could possibly be from Meadowlawn itself unless someone bought it before Heaven Hill did. This label could have been passed around many times. Then again, maybe Heaven Hill did have Medowlawn on the label in earlier years and was using up old stock. I could not see the entire label but usually when a label is changing hands the label is clipped or notched somewhere. This is how they use up old stock labels that has another distillery name on it but is actually distilled and bottled by the new owners not what the label states.

I hope I have not confused everyone. I can talk a whole lot better than I can type.-------The saga continues--------------------------------------

boone

**DONOTDELETE**

because the true owner (James Carravetta) who died about 8 years ago told me he bought the hole lot of it at an salvage aution

he drank all but 1 case which was devided among the familt after his death
    im the last one to keep it
    i dont drink
    and the museam did offer me 50 dollers that i wouldnt accept
    now i did my investigating but you people have helped me allot

so i thank you

Paul Krause

**DONOTDELETE**

bill this bottle was a salvaged product from a fire
    is ity possible that the insureance company relabel the salvage product due to fire

and would that explain the diffeances

**DONOTDELETE**

so if this is before haeven hill
    is it possable that this is a rare bottle of Whiskey

I really did talk to the museum and a lady (i never got a name, wasnt important to me) told me that they never pay more then 50 us dollers for a bottle of old whiskey. They seemed very interested in getting there hands on it.!
    i really thank all of you for going out of your way for me like this

i really wish ALL OF YOU COULD STOP THROUGH AND SEE THIS BOTTLE FOR YOUR SELFES

I AM REALLY INERESTED IN KNOWING THE ORIGIN OF THIS BOTTLE

AND IF I CAN SELL IT BECAUSE IM NOT A COLLECTOR

IF SOMEONE CAN MAKE ME AN OFFER I CANT REFUSE THEN ITS YOURS

BUT AFTER ALL OF THE HACKING AND SLASHING WHERE DO I GO FROM HERE??????

thank for all your help

Paul Krause

**DONOTDELETE**

Re: old 1889 royal for boone

please call me

us 262-632-5547

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Boone,

I have seen the label warehouse at Heaven Hill and it is quite a remarkable place. The folks here who have not been so lucky might enjoy a description of it, especially the key statistics (i.e., how many different labels), when you have a chance.

--Chuck Cowdery

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Metalman,

Although my original reply to your original post may have seemed flippant or worse, everything I wrote in it was accurate. There really isn't much of a market for American Whiskey rarities, no matter how rare they are, even one-of-a-kind. Some of America's most hard core bourbon lovers participate in this forum and while you might find a couple who would willingly match the Getz Museum's offer, I don't know where you would find someone willing to pay significantly more. No market, no marketplace. You might want to try an auction site like eBay, but I don't know what else to tell you. If you would like to do a little better than $50 -- say $100 -- it may be possible, but if you have more zeros than that in your mind's eye, the kindest thing any of us here can do is set you straight, however brutal that may seem. I did see someone on eBay once trying to sell a bottle of bourbon for $30,000. I don't believe he succeeded.

I'm not sure if I am taking your "hashing and slashing" reference as intended, but your original inquiry triggered the kind of investigation and dialogue that is the lifeblood of this forum, so thank you for that. I hope you feel like you know more now than you did when you started. I'm sorry if we were not able to give you the precise help or answers you sought.

Maybe you didn't get all the way to the end of my earlier essay (I don't blame you), but I think the best theory is that your bottle was produced in Bardstown at Shawhan, later Waterfill & Frazier, before the "Old 1889" brand was moved to the Meadowlawn Distillery in Louisville, post-1948. More specific than that it will be hard to get.

I have another question for the forum: Any guesses as to the significance of the date 1889?

--Chuck Cowdery

**DONOTDELETE**

Challenged Chuck, "I have another question for the forum: Any guesses as to the significance of the date 1889?"

Well, one possibility is that it represents a date especially important to bourbon-drinkers in the Kansas City area where the brand was originally sold. For example, 1889 was when Carrie Nation began her career of hashing and slashing her way through the saloons of Kansas territory and western Missouri. There was other bourbon packaging "comemmorating" Missy N, including bottles shaped like axes and even a "Carrie Nation" brand. Perhaps "Old 1889" was another example?

=John=
    http://w3.one.net/~jeffelle/whiskey

Advanced Taster

Boone,
    Thanks for digging through all of those labels and thanks for the info.

One of my bottles has "L2889" on the side. I can't find anything printed on the other one (except for the bottom).

As Chuck mentioned, do tell us more about the label warehouse!

Thanks again,

Bill
    http://home.kc.rr.com/mashbill/

Bourbonian of the Year 2004 and Guru

Hi Bill,

Your bourbon was bottled on October 15, 1999. We are in the process of adding new jet printers because the old ones gave nothing but trouble. A lot of bottles don't have the Julian date because of this problem.

boone.