Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: Would Like Opiniona About Jefferson's Presidential Select 18Yr

PM Wadewood, he can help you flip it on fleabay

Guru

An unopened bottle is an unfulfilled promise.

Enthusiast

I'm not going to say anything new. Drink it, enjoy it, and by all means, SHARE it, especially with folks that can appreciate it. There are indeed multiple threads on this product, including one I've contributed to in the negative (initially) and in the overwhelmingly positive (after the bottle had been open for a few months). It may seem woody and dry when you open it, but mine did NOT stay that way, and it is truly amazing whiskey. It's way better than any of the Van Winkle products currently in my cabinet, all of which are open and being ingested.

There is some variance from batch to batch, so YMMV.

One other thought. Most of us here believe that whiskey is for drinking and sharing. If you are really, truly having trouble deciding whether to drink it, consider it from this angle: do you collect things (and to me money is a thing), or do you collect experiences? The liquid in your bottle very definitely falls into the latter category.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by SFS View Post
    ...It may seem woody and dry when you open it, but mine did NOT stay that way, and it is truly amazing whiskey. It's way better than any of the Van Winkle products currently in my cabinet....
    Thanks to everyone for their input. I DID open up the bottle last night and drink it. I'm glad SFS said what he said, becasue that is EXACTLY what I noticed about the taste. It was VERY woody-tasting. It finished sweet, but before that there was even a wet paper flavor to it. I'm hoping he is right, and it DOESN'T stay that way.
    Right before I tried it, I had poured a PVW 20Yr, and it was incredible. So for right now, i don't agree that JPS is "the closest thing to PVW you'll find..." as the guy who sold it to me said, but maybe it will grow on me. And hopefully it will lose that wet paper taste

Guru

Hope so as well, please keep us informed.

Novice

Among other things, I'm the spirits manager for an upscale 3 store family owned chain. I was at a Fedway event in Atlantic City last year. Fedway is a large distributor that has the exclusive on BT, PVW and Jefferson. I had a long discussion with the regional distillery rep who told me about the blend (as I was sipping the Presidential at his table.) Also, he told me that they had extra bottles labeled 18yr that they put the 20 yr Presidential in. Actually, if you look, the little tag on the 18yr bottle says bottled in 1991.

Actually, the Presidential Select starts out from the old Stizel Weller batch (think Pappy.) However, they blend in a small amount of a bourbon with a high rye content (38%?) so it is a 4 grain; not 100% wheater. The last batch we had was bottled in 18yr bottles but the tag stated that it was bottled in 1991 so it is a 20yr. It's bottled at 94proof but drinks similar to the Pappy 15 107proof. A really nice pour.

Roscoe

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
    Among other things, I'm the spirits manager for an upscale 3 store family owned chain. I was at a Fedway event in Atlantic City last year. Fedway is a large distributor that has the exclusive on BT, PVW and Jefferson. I had a long discussion with the regional distillery rep who told me about the blend (as I was sipping the Presidential at his table.) Also, he told me that they had extra bottles labeled 18yr that they put the 20 yr Presidential in. Actually, if you look, the little tag on the 18yr bottle says bottled in 1991.

Actually, the Presidential Select starts out from the old Stizel Weller batch (think Pappy.) However, they blend in a small amount of a bourbon with a high rye content (38%?) so it is a 4 grain; not 100% wheater. The last batch we had was bottled in 18yr bottles but the tag stated that it was bottled in 1991 so it is a 20yr. It's bottled at 94proof but drinks similar to the Pappy 15 107proof. A really nice pour.

Roscoe
    This is why I hate going to Spec's was one of the first posts I made on this site. Because of misinformation like this. No offense to you Roscoe.
    Last edited by smknjoe; 03-04-2013 at 12:36.

Novice

Well, that's the info I got from the distillery rep....have to go with it.

No offense taken,
    Roscoe

Guru

Again welcome and I mean no offense, but here is why I said that.

1. They have no distillery for Jefferson's since they are a Non Distiller Producer. They buy their whiskey form other "unknown" distilleries and actually have someone else bottle it for them (KBD?) Not sure about the bottling part.
    2. It was Distilled in 1991 and they started bottling the 17 in 2008/2009. The 18 in ~2009/2010. I don't know if they are still actively bottling the stuff.
    3. On their website they even state that the whiskey is from S-W, but it's possible they blended. Haven't heard that one yet on this particular brand.

And you are right, you do have to take their word for it. They SHOULD know what they are talking about. It's been my experience they (distributors) don't many times even though they mean well.

Edit: Now I'm curious about the blending part since that's absolutely possible. I'll shoot an email to Trey Zoeller over at Castle Brands to see what he says.

Misinformation is rampant. I even saw where Jason over at sourmashmanifesto told a reader that ALL of the Jefferson brands were wheaters. JPS is the only wheater the rest are ryed.
    Last edited by smknjoe; 03-04-2013 at 12:41.

Novice

I could be wrong on the distiller rep; rather he was a brand rep but not a distributor rep. I would be interested in what you find out from TZ at Castle Brands.

Roscoe