Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: Would Like Opiniona About Jefferson's Presidential Select 18Yr

Correct information IS tough to come by some times. Case in point; when I was trying to locate another bottle of PVW I was told by more than one proprietor that OVW was not being MADE any more?!? I later found out that this was crap, but this came from two, different people!
    Well, how can it not be McCormick's, the $7 well bourbon of the finest dive bars? Tastes like kerosene and sadness.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
    ...drinks similar to the Pappy 15 107proof. A really nice pour....
    Roscoe
    If you read my review of it above, you may have noticed that I got a strong hint of like wet wood. Someone else stated that this was their impression as well, but that it eventually got better. Is that WHILE I'm drinking it? Or will it eventually even out in the bottle, and that hint will go away?
    Sorry for the newb questions...
    Well, how can it not be McCormick's, the $7 well bourbon of the finest dive bars? Tastes like kerosene and sadness.

Guru

It should be pointed out the whisky Julian used to rebuild his family's Van Winkle brand was stock the family retained when they sold the Stitzel-Weller distillery in 1972.

The new owners made changes (dry packaged yeast, pressure cooking the mash) and other 'improvements' to 'streamline' (cheapen) the whisky making process.

The whisky make at SW in 1991 (about a year before closing) is considered to be lesser quality than what was made previously as the 'streamlined' version.

So to claim whisky made at SW in it's final years is the 'same as' or 'good as' that which was made when the Van Winkles owned the distillery is, well, misplaced to say the least.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Borchard View Post
    If you read my review of it above, you may have noticed that I got a strong hint of like wet wood. Someone else stated that this was their impression as well, but that it eventually got better. Is that WHILE I'm drinking it? Or will it eventually even out in the bottle, and that hint will go away?
    Sorry for the newb questions...
    I think it was SFS that said that and he meant that it evened out in the bottle over time (in his case.) There are several threads with people saying the earlier batches weren't as woody. I don't know. Personally, I have some of the 17yr batch 3 and it's very good. Lot's of english toffee and some oak, but not too much.

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    So to claim whisky made at SW in it's final years is the 'same as' or 'good as' that which was made when the Van Winkles owned the distillery is, well, misplaced to say the least.
    I haven't had anyone tell me it's the same stuff, but it would certainly be mileading. Kind of like saying that all Buffalo Trace whiskeys taste the same.

Guru

Joe I was referring to recent posts about store owners/clerks making that sort of comment, not the illustrious members of this group.

Guru

Re: Would Like Opinions About Jefferson's Presidential Select 18Yr

Though I wouldn't put it past a sales rep either.

Guru

I know what you meant. When I bought my bottle the sales person didn't try to tell me that it was "Pappy in a different bottle" like many other users here have experienced. The sales rep did mention that it was out of production whiskey though.

Advanced Taster

Ok, tonight it seems totally different. I added a few very small rocks, waited for several minutes after I poured, and my JPS 18 is wonderful! Holy crap!

Apprentice

Glad to hear Borchard. I have enjoyed several bottles and a couple different batches of the JPS18 and not been disappointed yet.

Sometimes it pays to think outside the box a little. drinking it neat is not always the best way. I will always taste a bourbon first neat, but I will explore from there.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Borchard View Post
    Correct information IS tough to come by some times. Case in point; when I was trying to locate another bottle of PVW I was told by more than one proprietor that OVW was not being MADE any more?!? I later found out that this was crap, but this came from two, different people!
    Slow down. When you say OVW, I assume you mean ORVW, or Old Rip Van Winkle? They did, indeed, cease bottling the 10yr 90pr, but will continue to bottle the 10yr 107pr, so I can see where there is conflicting out there. Retailers, wholesalers, and supplier reps come in all levels of quality(Just as lawyers, teachers, waiters and professional golfers do.). Your best bet is to search this board for the most thorough information.