Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Re: Angel's Envy Rye

I really like the Angel's Envy Bourbon, and am intrigued with their finishing a rye. I tried the Hooker's House Zin finished rye (MGPI sourced rye) several weeks ago, and found it very enjoyable. But, $80 does seem like a pretty steep price for the AE Rye. I'll probably fork it over, though. But, not without a good battle of congnitive dissonance going on in the whiskey aisle. But, I know what will win...That side is nearly undefeated...
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Angel's Envy Rye

I find $80.00 for a bottle of whiskey far from a predatory price taking advantage of the bubble. We do not know how much product they put into R&D to find out what works/ doesn't work, we do not know the volume they purchased from LDI in comparison to a distributor such as Smooth Ambler, we do not know what the barrels cost. If they were to charge $100 or more for this product I would lean to taking advantage of the bubble scenario. Plus releasing a new product is always a calculated risk, I am sure they factored getting more money up front in the initial surge of demand to counter act possible losses from the product sucking.

Guru

AE can't compete with Brown-Forman or the other houses on economy of scale so they are putting out something a little different for those willing to pay for the difference. The intrinsic value has little to do with, it's worth what someone is willing to pay. I'm not that someone.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I heard that it's finished for 18 months, which is a long time for a finish.

Filibuster is selling MGPI rye finished in French wine barrels and it doesn't work. The rye's strong flavor fights with the barrel flavors and everybody loses. Hopefully, rum works better. At least you can be confident Lincoln doesn't do these things haphazardly. He knows what works.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by WAINWRIGHT View Post
    I would be very curious to try this as well,I can't see the minty/dill of the rye melding very well with the brown sugars and cinnamon of the rum.I guess at 6 years and 100 proof for $80 I need not worry either as it will be a try and not a buy for sure from my standpoint.I guess we have seen stranger culminations in the past and will have to wait and see.
    Actually it could work. I fairly routinely vat rye and rum together, about 4:1. I usually use Jefferson's and El Dorado 12 but I've done it with 5 year old Willett, too (which is LDI). I won't be buying any of this at that price but I'll bet it tastes good.
    Life's too short, and there's too much good whiskey within reach.

Enthusiast

Interesting...and overpriced. Pretty much like any new expression hitting the market these days. I'd much rather buy a bottle of Glenmorangie 18 at the $79.99 price point.
    -SOB-

Guru

I guess I am one of P.T.'s suckers I suppose but if I can find it I will definitely be trying at least one bottle. I like the LDI ryes in general and very much liked AE and AECS so I look forward to another variation from their shop even if it is a bit spendy.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Enthusiast

Angel's Envy Rye

I saw on Angel's Envy Facebook page that Wes Henderson was coming to Austin and having a dinner and tasting. The dinner was at a local fine steak restaurant, the cost was $65.

I went tonight and spent a couple of hours and had one of the best meals I have ever had. The chef made a Cuban Lechon, pork dish that was fantastic.
    For the drinks we started tasting AE's white dog, then the regular AE.
    During the main meal we tried the Cask Strength, very nice stuff. During dessert we had their new AE Rye finished in Caribbean rum casks for up to 18 months.
    I am not a big Rye drinker, but I have to say this stuff was fantastic. After dinner I ended up drinking extra of the rye vs the cask strength. I am looking forward to buying this when it hits the stores in a couple of months.
    Wes said we were one of the first groups that he introduced this to. They have a winner in my opinion.
    Retail price should be around $70 per bottle. It will be 100 proof.
    You should try this when you get a chance.aerye2.jpg

Gregg
    2012 Straight Bourbon Fantasy Football Champion
    2013 Straight Bourbon Fantasy Football 3rd Place
    2014 Straight Bourbon Fantasy Football ?

Connoisseur

They had white dog with them? Did they say who made it?

Enthusiast

Yes they did, but they never talk about who makes their white dog.

Gregg
    2012 Straight Bourbon Fantasy Football Champion
    2013 Straight Bourbon Fantasy Football 3rd Place
    2014 Straight Bourbon Fantasy Football ?