Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: Angel's Envy Rye

I would love to! But apparently Georgia isn't on the list for the initial roll out so I will have to hope that I can find a way to get some from another source as was the case with the CS AE and the regular AE before it made it to Georgia.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Trippah and Admin

Threads merged to keep the conversation in one place.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Connoisseur

Just got back from spending an enjoyable evening with the folks from Angel's Envy at their pop-up bar where they were having their "pre-release" event for the AE Rye. In addition to sampling the new rye product, they served up some delicious cocktails made with standard AE and had some great finger foods (I am a full-blooded meat eater, but they had a knockout vegetarian taco) appropriately catered by a nearby restaurant named "Rye".

I made the drive to Louisville to sample the rye, because as many here know I love finished whiskies/whiskeys (I won't repeat the statement that put me in Kevin's Sampler Quotes thread). With that said, I was a little concerned about the anticipated $70 price point for this product and was not going to buy it before sampling it. For me, this one is a home run. Again, Lincoln, Wes, and Kyle have showed that they can produce a finished American whisky that can stand up in direct competition with the finished Scotches that I love. After tasting this rye, price is not an issue for me. It's only a few $$ more than the Balvenie Caribbean Rum Cask and is 100 proof vs 86 for the Balvenie (I'm glad that while this is meant to be a continuing product (though limited), they did not tone down the finish or the proof like they did with standard AE). I will take the opportunity in the future to do a side by side with the 2, but my initial impression is that the AE definitely holds its own with the Balvenie and may even surpass it. I know a lot of people don't like the price for a "young" rye (it is 7 1/2 years in wood), but when judged on taste - IF YOU LIKE HEAVILY FINISHED WHISKEY, I believe it stacks up well with the competition.

Guru

Good notes Tom, appreciate the insight.

Virtuoso

Angel's Envy Rye

Agreed. You sold me on giving this a try.

Apprentice

Like TomH, I visited the AE Pop Up bar last week. And WOW was I impressed. The company did a GREAT job hosting us and we had a great time. The new RYE is amazing, haunting even. I can't wait until this is available for purchase. I think this offering will change the way people think of whiskey!
    My Ky Bourbon Trail...
    Maker's Mark (Awesome renovation!)
    Buffalo Trace
    Woodford Reserve (Beautiful!)
    Wild Turkey
    Jim Beam
    Four Roses
    Heaven Hill

Guru

Thanks TomH for your impressions.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by DukeB View Post
    I think this offering will change the way people think of whiskey!
    That sounds like a line straight from the AE marketing copy. You do realize that finished whisk(e)y has been around for a very, very long time? This whiskey will not change anything.
    Last edited by LostBottle; 05-07-2013 at 13:59.

Enthusiast

I wanted to dismiss this as another LDI/MGP bastard whiskey. But then I tasted it, and wow - sweet (caramel and rock candy) intermixed with a light peppery rye spice (the minty-ness is def drowned out by the sweetness of the rum influence). Tom was right to compare it to the Balvenie Carribbean cask. Like Tom said, its a finished whiskey, but everything blends together magically (if you're into that sort of thing).

I was griping about the price on facebook and Kyle Henderson chimed in and provided a rationale for the price. He said that the finishing casks start as Pierre Ferrand Conac casks, and them become Plantation XO 20th Anniversary rum casks. It sounds expensive, but I don't know much about cognac or rum, so...

He also said the price was going to be closer to $70.00 (at least in the KY region), which is still high, but a little less gouging.

It's really, really good, and I plan on getting a bottle even though it will eat up my bi-weekly whiskey budget. Hope this helps.
    Justin

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Dolph Lundgren View Post
    It's really, really good, and I plan on getting a bottle even though it will eat up my bi-weekly whiskey budget.
    You're learning the secret handshake !
    Thad

BTOTY-2011