Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: Angel's Envy Rye

I think I need to revisit AER tonight. It seems other people are getting more rye than I did on my first go at it, perhaps my palate has become overly accustomed to my normal preference of dry & spicy.

Guru

Angel's Envy Rye

Did you get a revisit on this LB? Just curious if you've been able to get a better read on this.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Connoisseur

I did not have a chance to revisit, but plan on it this weekend. Last night I got too "bogged down" with Islay to retaste the AE Rum...I mean Rye.

Connoisseur

Tried this thanks to Marc from the forum. All I have to say is maple syrup.
    Bourbon only requires a glass.

Enthusiast

Angel's Envy Rye

Definite gingerbread and brown sugar on the nose. The nose is overpoweringly sweet, but the rye shines through nicely once you take a sip. It doesn't taste as sweet as the nose makes you believe it would be. I don't regret buying a bottle, and may even replace it when it's gone. Hats off to AE, especially because I don't care for the bourbon.

Angel's Envy Rye

Definitely lots of rum/sugar/gingerbread/nutmeg on nose and after initial taste. Rye is present on the finish which is long and spicy. Odd considering this is not a "hot" whiskey and hides its 100 proof very well.

This is a good rye whiskey for those that don't drink ryes... Or those who don't drink whiskey in general. The problem will be getting it into the mouths of those people. A $75 price tag will be a barrier to most once this becomes a regular addition to lineup.

Connoisseur

I tried this again tonight. I did get more rye out of it than my tasting a couple nights ago; I am not sure if this is due to some air, or my palate adjusting to the big sweetness. While there throughout the tasting, the rye spice was really only a big player on the palate entry, then the sweetness just takes over. When I added a bit of water the AER simply fell apart, becoming two distinct messes: one sweet syrup and the other a bitter rye. As a side note, The 100 proof of this is actually very smooth, so water should not be needed anyway; plus I tend to avoid water with (older) ryes because they too show a tendency towards bitter characteristics with added branch.

After having more time with this whiskey, I have to be honest - while AER is undoubtedly good quality and crafted with some care, it still seems more novelty than go-to drinker. It just does not seem as well-integrated as good finished Scotches. All of this said, it is an interesting novelty and I will enjoy the rest of the bottle. If the moods strikes and the price comes down, I might even buy another when the open one runs out. At the end of the day though, this would be only a very occasional dram as I prefer something a bit more "pedestrian".
    Last edited by LostBottle; 05-26-2013 at 00:15.

Connoisseur

Angel's Envy Rye

Quote Originally Posted by whiskeyagonzo View Post
    Does anyone know if there will be a cask strength AER? I found the AE CS simply amazing. I wish I had another bottle.
    No word yet but they very well could. I wonder, however, if they use a similar technique to the AE CS bourbon, would the rum influence not be way too much? I've already read some reviews that say the AE Rye doesn't taste like a whiskey, but rather very sweet like a dessert. Any note additional rum influence might send it over the top. I don't recall the exact method Lincoln and Wes used with AE CS, but I believe they batched more of the longer finished barrels with the non-finished barrels, hence the darker color.
    Last edited by MacinJosh; 05-27-2013 at 05:16.
    Josh

"The last time I turned down a whiskey, I didn’t understand the question."

Guru

That's a good point Josh, the more concentrated flavor of a cask strength being perhaps too much of a good thing.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by whiskeyagonzo View Post
    Does anyone know if there will be a cask strength AER? I found the AE CS simply amazing. I wish I had another bottle.
    I have been told the AE CS Bourbon will be available again in the near future (end of the year?) but haven't heard anything about a CS rye. I have had a few sample tastes of the rye which I greatly enjoyed and look forward to getting a couple of bottles of it soon thanks to the assistance of a very thoughtful fellow SBer. But I think I would also be concerned about the rum cask dominating even more if it spent longer in the barrel as was the case with the CS bourbon. Of course that wouldn't stop me from wanting to try a CS rum cask rye that was just barrel proof but not finished any longer!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum