Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: Angel's Envy Rye

Has anybody tasted this next to a Gilman of MGPI rye and rum?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by dohidied View Post
    Has anybody tasted this next to a Gilman of MGPI rye and rum?
    I believe this might be similar. Although a bit more upscale than MGPI Rye!

Quote Originally Posted by michaelturtle1 View Post
    Started the evening off with a healthy pour of Angels Envy rye... Still dont' know what to think of it.. The rum and rye mingling got the old gears grinding in my head and lo and behold I had a bottle of V21 sitting next to a Zaya 12 yr rum on my bar.. I mixed 1/3 Zaya with 2/3 V21 and the results are delicious. The woodiness of the V21 offsets the sweetness of the rum. It is a bit difficult to pour rum into an overaged rye but I like the results so much I think I might try this again
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Connoisseur

Angel's Envy Rye

Tom was kind enough to share his bottle with us last night at the V&T Whisky Club meeting.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370636066.072639.jpg

Two words. Pumpkin pie.

Wow! Lincoln Henderson figured out how to make liquid pumpkin pie and put it in a bottle. This stuff REEEEEEKS of it! It's like a Christmas spice, sweet dessert, nutmeg-y pumpkin pie!!

Very, very unique.
    Josh

"The last time I turned down a whiskey, I didn’t understand the question."

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

It's hard to be a purist when something tastes so damn good.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    It's hard to be a purist when something tastes so damn good.
    I absolutely love this line, and it is the way I feel about this rye as well. I certainly didn't expect what I tasted. Tried this at Whiskey Fest, and it certainly stood out all by itself for me.

Connoisseur

I was able to pick up a bottle of AE rye for 60 bucks out the door yesterday. Took it to a party and shared it all around. It was generally a hit (generally free booze is) with one whiskey drinker saying it could easily become a favorite for him. I was interested in it mainly for the novelty. The nose seemed oddly muted to me but maybe my smeller was off. As for the taste, Josh nailed it with "pumpkin pie". The rum notes are very dominant up front with the rye spice punching through on the finish. As easy drinking as it is, I actually preferred it on ice as it softened the sweet taste and jammy body. It's almost overloaded with flavor and would make a killer tiki drink. Could never be a regular pour for me but I'm glad to have tried it. I ended up buying another bottle.
    "This is the real article. It is double-rectified busthead from Madison County, aged in the keg. A little spoonful would do you a power of good."

-True Grit by Charles Portis

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by scratchline View Post
    I was able to pick up a bottle of AE rye for 60 bucks out the door yesterday. Took it to a party and shared it all around. It was generally a hit (generally free booze is) with one whiskey drinker saying it could easily become a favorite for him. I was interested in it mainly for the novelty. The nose seemed oddly muted to me but maybe my smeller was off. As for the taste, Josh nailed it with "pumpkin pie". The rum notes are very dominant up front with the rye spice punching through on the finish. As easy drinking as it is, I actually preferred it on ice as it softened the sweet taste and jammy body. It's almost overloaded with flavor and would make a killer tiki drink. Could never be a regular pour for me but I'm glad to have tried it. I ended up buying another bottle.
    Thanks for the thoughts. I opened up my bottle last night, and it is a very interesting whiskey. Out of the bottle, I'll agree that the nose is muted, but after letting it sit in my glencairn for about 10 minutes, the nose was huge and pungent. Ginger bread. I had my wife nose it as well, and she knew it was something but couldn't put her finger on it until I said ginger bread.

As to taste, I'd still say ginger bread over pumpkin pie, but it's definitely along those lines. More sweetness than rye flavors, but it was not "too" sweet as I had feared. Very drinkable, almost dangerously so. Looking forward to giving it more tastes, and trying over ice and the like. Definitely one that I'll enjoy having around, but time will tell if it becomes a staple.

Connoisseur

I'm teetering on purchasing this.

Had a sample of it yesterday due the generosity of another member, LIke people have said, sweet/pumpkin pie/gingerbread. It's confusing because you're not quite sure what it is, simply because you've never had anything like it before.

Decisions.......

B
    "Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die."

Connoisseur

I bought a bottle of this yesterday after someone at my dinner table raved about how good it was. I opened the bottle today and gave it a try. I have to say that it is an interesting drink that I enjoyed immensely. I love the taste and flavor of this bottling. I'm not a bourbon snob, so I will be drinking this whiskey on a frequent basis even at the pricey cost.
    Mike
    "Some people were born on third base and think they hit a triple"

Disciple

I admit it I caved just today,more than a few that I have great faith in have given it a go,so I figured why the hell not!I just hope I'm not disappointed,I am a rum fan after all.
    "To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human."
    Larry Wachowski