Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast
    Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

Re: Angel's Envy Rye

Wes Henderson was in town (Houston) today for a barrel selection/blend of AE for a local bar (Poison Girl). I was invited to attend and afterwards, Wes pulled out bottle of the AE Rye. I gotta say - WOW. Very sweet, cotton candy and just unlike any Rye I've ever tried. Maybe more of an after dinner drink, but simple superb. I accused Wes of of buying barrels of rum that were still partially full.

For shits and grins, we pulled a bottle of Bulleit Rye (same base source) for comparison. The truth was basically no comparison; yes both start at 95% MGP/LDI Rye but the finished product is polar opposite.

I gotta say I was in the opinion of $70 for LDI rye - you are out of your mind before tasting. After, I'm asking when it will be available at my local liquor store.
    Last edited by wadewood; 06-18-2013 at 17:53.

Advanced Taster

I had a pretty similar experience to yours at the Opal Divine's whiskey fest last month here in Austin. I like AE just fine, as I always appreciate a port finish. But then they pulled out one bottle of the rye, and that blew me away. It definitely stands out among other ryes with all that crazy sweetness, and I completely understand why that's polarizing. I personally liked it a lot.

Also, $70 is a lot for an LDI rye, but who else in the market is producing one with a rum finish? I feel like, for the time being, there's no reason why they can't ask that. If they sell well, others will follow, and they'll have to bring the price down. (At least, if my basic understanding of capitalism means anything.) I'll personally spend my "this is a pricey rye" money on the Thomas Handy, but I won't fault anyone for picking up the AE rye.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

When people argue with me about NDPs, they often wave Angel's Envy and Van Winkle in my face. They maintain that Lincoln Henderson and Julian Van Winkle don't distill the whiskey, they don't "do anything," yet they're spared from criticism. I can understand this, because on paper it doesn't seem like they do very much, yet what a huge difference it makes. The results are the point. So don't Willie Pratt at Michter's and David Perkins at High West deserve the same credit? Maybe. I guess I'm just not as impressed by their products. A more subtle part of my equation is the 'modesty gap.' I'm a big believer in under-promise, over-deliver.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    A more subtle part of my equation is the 'modesty gap.' I'm a big believer in under-promise, over-deliver.
    I definitley agree, though the context might be a bit different.

Advanced Taster

Got a bottle of this on my latest excursion to Northern Kentucky. Love it! Reminds me quite a bit of the molasses cookies my family makes during the winter months.

Connoisseur

I tried this at the last GBS meeting and loved it. I just grabbed one while in SC packing up the old house.
    Richard
    GBS Member rounding out the top 5
    Are you a Whisk(e)y Apostle?

Virtuoso

Was able to try this at the gazebo this weekend. Like a melted gingerbread cookie, just a great after dinner desert drink when the mood strikes. Still can't get past price.

If this was in line with the main product (which goes for $50 or so around here), I'd be all over it. I will say for those interested, the availability seems to have greatly improved in the past two months. Curious if all the same batch, didn't think to check the bottle for any notations.

Not all the same batch. We make about 2400 bottles at a time, so we have currently 7 or 8 batches out on the market.

Guru

Angel's Envy Rye

Quote Originally Posted by K_Henderson View Post
    Not all the same batch. We make about 2400 bottles at a time, so we have currently 7 or 8 batches out on the market.
    Thanks for the information Kyle - it's great having you here!
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Guru

As of October, AER will be available in Michigan! Woot!
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog