Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Angel's Envy Rye

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    I have been told the AE CS Bourbon will be available again in the near future (end of the year?) but haven't heard anything about a CS rye. I have had a few sample tastes of the rye which I greatly enjoyed and look forward to getting a couple of bottles of it soon thanks to the assistance of a very thoughtful fellow SBer. But I think I would also be concerned about the rum cask dominating even more if it spent longer in the barrel as was the case with the CS bourbon. Of course that wouldn't stop me from wanting to try a CS rum cask rye that was just barrel proof but not finished any longer!
    I hope you are right about AE CS being available again this year. It does seem from what I have heard that the rum taste would be too much in the CS rye. That being said I think I am gonna have to try this though new AE rye. Anyone know where to pick up a bottle?

Guru

Re: Angel's Envy Rye

Quote Originally Posted by whiskeyagonzo View Post
    I hope you are right about AE CS being available again this year. It does seem from what I have heard that the rum taste would be too much in the CS rye. That being said I think I am gonna have to try this though new AE rye. Anyone know where to pick up a bottle?
    Got the news from a very reliable source so I am hopeful we will see the AE CS bourbon again at some point. I am told a few bottles of the AE Rye are still floating around Kentucky but it may require some hunting to find it. It was distributed in a few other states but they were limited in number. My state wasn't included but I managed to secure one from TPS (It was 1 bottle per customer and they never put it on their website. I just happened to call at the right time) but they sold out of their limited allocation pretty quick.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Guru

Shows there's a demand for it.

Enthusiast

Shared some of this last night with a couple casual whiskey enjoying friends. Neither could take the sweetness and ended up pouring theirs into my glass and had me pour them something different. I drank their share with no complaints.

Connoisseur

Angel's Envy Rye

Maybe I will get lucky and stumble onto some. Kentucky isn't that far off after all...

Connoisseur

Just had a sample at a local liquor store, and I was surprised by how much I liked it. Very sweet for a rye, but it is definitely a rye, the rye notes appear on the latter end of the palate, very drinkable neat. The finish was especially nice, but I couldn't put my finger on it. Really nice nose on the empty glass. I'll be buying a bottle or two.

Advanced Taster

For me, it is very reminiscent of heavily spiced pumpkin pie.
    -Eric

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by wripvanwrinkle View Post
    For me, it is very reminiscent of heavily spiced pumpkin pie.
    Didn't get any pumpkin pie spice when I had a chance to sample it a few weeks ago but certainly an interesting balance of sweet and spice. Just got a couple of bottles thanks to the kind assistance of a fellow SBer so I look forward to exploring it again this weekend!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Angel's Envy Rye

Agreed that if you can't drink this one neat, then bud light with water might be too strong for you.

This is a rye for those that don't like whiskey period. Some might call it a training wheels whiskey. At its price point, I don't think any of the SoCo/Fireball/honey fans will accidentally find it.

If someone could put out a knockoff/generic at 1/4 the price, they would create the next craze.

Guru

Having some right now. Hard to wrap my head around what I'm drinking here, but whoever mentioned hummingbird cake ain't too far off. Creamy and sweet, with loads of fresh fruit and spice. The rum does oddly dominate, but I am able to tease out some rye on the palate. One thing's for sure, it isn't like anything else out there.