Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Today's bunkerable bourbon

Like many of you I spend an increasingly larger and larger amount of time seeking dustys. Those gems of yesteryear that we wish we would have bought all in sight during our youth.
    with the current explosion in bourbon popularity, what will be tomorrow's dustys from today.

Will we all regret not loading up on Weller 12 before the age statement fell off, or will it be something else, and what?

what is tomorrow's DSP-16-KY
    Last edited by Meruck; 03-02-2013 at 19:39.
    "You can't claim to have been drinkin all day if you don't start first thing in the mornin."

Virtuoso

Re: Today's bunkerable bourbon

Bourbon Reader's Digest, May 18th, 2018

A New Item on the PLCB List: Tom Moore Small Batch Reserve Bourbon

The Sazerac company's ownership of Tom Moore/Barton has brought their distribution to an all time high recently, as brands like Very old Barton, 1792, and the new and improved Tom Moore Bourbon hit shelves in nearly every retail liquor store in the US and some places overseas. But not everyone is happy with the greater availability of these whiskeys and the new flagship bourbon, Tom Moore Small Batch Reserve Bourbon. Bourbon Reader's Digest has taken this interview to the increasingly whiskey-educated public to find out what people think of their new whiskey options.

"First they axed Barton bottled-in-bond, one of my favorites, then they took the age statement off of 1792 so they could make this new, Ultra Premium Bourbon," Complains a bourbon drinker who would only tell us he goes by Squire. "I mean, not that the quality of 1792 kept up with the increased demand. To some of us, that was like the Wild Turkey 8 year of the 2000's, but I guess I was never that picky, and it's too late now" he went on to say.

Other people had very positive reviews of Tom Moore Small Batch Reserve, one noteable bourbon reviewer published an amazing review in another widely known whiskey journal (albeit, one that used to cover more Scotches than bourbons! Readers, stick with us, We cover bourbon, rye, and all things American here!). The reviewer described his taste of Batch #1 as "Well rounded, with a sweet foundation (toffee, vanilla, custard) and pleasant nuts (pecans and walnuts) that blend well with the underlying fruits (plums and figs)... One of the best Barton whiskies I have ever tasted, much better than Ridgemont Reserve (and it's predecessor Ridgewood, too!)" That reviewer rated this whiskey at a solid 95.

He's not the only one raving about the new Tom Moore. "It's the best thing that [Sazerac] has released in the last 6 years, I like it a lot better than the so-called "Stagg Jr" they released in 2015," posted one enthusiast in response to our latest web article. Another said the only thing holding him back from 'bunkering' the stuff in large amounts was the price. "It fits right into the ultra-premium crowd with [Russel's Reserve Single Barrel] at 65 dollars a bottle. Good, but I won't be buying it regularly."

But what is to become of Barton's previous 'flagship,' 1792 Ridgemont Reserve? As the bourbon reviewer here at Bourbon Reader's Digest, I feel sorrow that 1792 has gone the way of so many other bourbons out there, losing its age statement and a drop in quality with every batch. But that's the great thing about bourbon today- So many new brands out there!

But what do I think of this new Barton Whiskey? That will have to wait for our next live webisode! Until next time readers, Cheers!

All characters in this work of fiction are purely fictional and any commonalities found within to real people known or unknown, are sheer coincidence, no matter how unlikely the circumstances.
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    I like to save up the charred bits in the bottom of the unfiltered stuff. When I have enough, I pour milk on it and eat it.

Connoisseur

I think you're on the mark with Weller 12. Possibly some age stated cheaper bottles like AAA. I've been trying to build a stash of retailer selected SB OWAs, the last few have been 8ish y/o.

Disciple

Very nicely done Erik!
    Jim

Advanced Taster

I'm very new to the intricacies of bourbon marketing but would it make much sense for Weller to remove the age statement from the 12? Seems that as its the top of that particular line it'd keep the age and a little "clout" behind that one.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by ramblinman View Post
    I'm very new to the intricacies of bourbon marketing but would it make much sense for Weller to remove the age statement from the 12? Seems that as its the top of that particular line it'd keep the age and a little "clout" behind that one.

Probably not! But then, Sazerac & Company love to pull them age statements!
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    I like to save up the charred bits in the bottom of the unfiltered stuff. When I have enough, I pour milk on it and eat it.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by ramblinman View Post
    I hope not, but you've seen it happen before. "WT 8yr" became "WT Old No. 8." "Weller 12" could become "Weller Old No. 12" somewhere down the line. But again, I hope not.
    Jack
    GBS Member #3 (Sorry Dawn!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pieface
    I think i'm god but I'll get a confirmation and go from there

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by jcg9779 View Post
    I hope not, but you've seen it happen before. "WT 8yr" became "WT Old No. 8." "Weller 12" could become "Weller Old No. 12" somewhere down the line. But again, I hope not.
    With temperatures rising and aged stocks depleting, I think we'll see more and more age statements disappearing - in part because at that age the product just wouldn't be consistent with the past flavor profiles. A 12 yr may start to taste older, so they may need some younger juice just to bring it in line with taste expectations.

I do think Weller 12, maybe EC 12, will be highly sought out after they are changed. It is already nearly impossible to find any Bourbon Supreme these days!
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Guru

Erik I wouldn't trust a guy who refuses to give out his last name.

Connoisseur

Today's bunkerable bourbon

I'd venture that this is probably the worst time to be "buying in" to whiskey as a long term hobby. There is a bit of a crisis right now with age statements dropping and stocks depleting, but producers are reacting by increasing their volume and putting away more product to age. Even PVW has announced that they will be making more.

I believe that whiskey as a worldwide trend is peaking now, so I only buy what I need unless it's something I know I will never see again. It will be a long time (maybe never) before we enter into another glut period, but I'm not going to panic buy and hoard standard products in reaction to the popularity increase.