Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: Today's bunkerable bourbon

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Manthey View Post
    I'd venture that this is probably the worst time to be "buying in" to whiskey as a long term hobby. There is a bit of a crisis right now with age statements dropping and stocks depleting, but producers are reacting by increasing their volume and putting away more product to age. Even PVW has announced that they will be making more.

I believe that whiskey as a worldwide trend is peaking now, so I only buy what I need unless it's something I know I will never see again. It will be a long time (maybe never) before we enter into another glut period, but I'm not going to panic buy and hoard standard products in reaction to the popularity increase.
    I would say this is a fair and rational assessment. Well stated.
    "There's nothing better than a fine dinner, a good bottle of whiskey and a bad girl"

Guru

I will stock up on 8 year old Barton Rye, when they start making it.

Enthusiast

I would agree that it doesnt seem prudent to try to courner the market on Beam or Makers (86 of couse), but if I find some I particullarly enjoy I would certainly want to have a few additional bottles of it. If I find a truley unique and pleasing single barrel I may chose to spend my allowance on that. But every now and then something very special comes along and when that happens bunkering may be required. As a new member SB; although I just made apprentice, I cant imagine a better place to learn if there is something "very special" out there that warrents consideration. And thanks to this thread I have to go out and hunt down a bottle of Tom Moore Small Batch Special Reserve, just to see.
    "You can't claim to have been drinkin all day if you don't start first thing in the mornin."

Virtuoso

That would be amazing juice--- 8 year old barton rye, that is. I'd be it sight untasted.
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    I like to save up the charred bits in the bottom of the unfiltered stuff. When I have enough, I pour milk on it and eat it.

Virtuoso

The case for 1792

But seriously- my satirical post from earlier aside, I think there is a strong case for 1792 and other, similar, age stated whiskeys.

Wild Turkey 8 year was a standard release years ago. It was more expensive than some bourbons, but it wasn't an ultra-premium. In 1986, almost no one expected it to go away. Very few people were stockpiling huge cases of it. People were focusing on the premiums, buying Wild Turkey 12 year, Very old Fitz, whatever there was out there (and I know there wasn't a lot). People were drinking Wild Turkey 8 year, but it wasn't rare, or mysterious, or sought after. It was just darn good bourbon.

As Wild Turkey increased distribution and new labels with Rare Breed, and then Kentucky Spirit, the quality of the 8 year went downhill, and the age statement disappeared. All of a sudden, the old 8 year wasn't just "any bourbon," it was the bourbon that so many people had to have.

We could make the same case for Weller 12, but Wheaters have come into the spotlight as desirable bourbons to drink. Perhaps the age statement will go away, I don't know. as distribution increases, and Buffalo Trace increases other labels (like the VW brand) why not?

It comes down to money. If I can axe one brand, or better yet, reduce its quality without effecting sales, in order to come out with another, higher-priced brand, I will. So perhaps Weller 12 will be added to the list. Perhaps the quality of the current Four Roses Single Barrel will go downhill.

I'm not concerned with ultra premium, limited release stuff. Why? Because it's bunkerable from the moment it hits shelves. Everyone knows that FRLESmB is going to be gone quick. We all want it, because of that.

How many age stated, above 90 proof whiskeys are out there? 1792 is a great whiskey for 22 bucks, and is currently just any other ol' release. But perhaps, as Sazerac increases distribution, it will become a highly prized dusty if it bears the red 8 on the back label.
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    I like to save up the charred bits in the bottom of the unfiltered stuff. When I have enough, I pour milk on it and eat it.

Guru

Re: The case for 1792

Sazarac renamed the distillery 1792 so they have some sort of plans for the brand.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

I could pretty much go on with anything going away, or changing. Wouldn't necessarily make me happy, but I could survive. Plenty of great whiskies out there that I can sub in...Except for one...There is my Golden Child...OGD 114...If they ever look to do something with OGD 114, Katy bar the door, I'm loading up. I will pillage every store, in every county, of every state, to guarantee myself a life-long supply.

In all seriousness though, I have been thinking of beginning a regular bunkering program for it, as it's continuation in it's present form seems tenuous to me. By offering 114 with all of it's positives, I know Beam loves us today, but will they still love us tomorrow?
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Connoisseur

My guesses:
    Wild Turkey 101 Rye (I already stocked up....)
    1792 (At least loss of age statement)
    Old Grand Dad 114 (Beam seems to have little interest in probably their best products...)
    Fighting Cock (Bet it loses its age statement....)
    Old Overholt (Beam just went from 4 to 3 years old, I could see them dumping it completely)
    Old Ezra 101 and Ezra Brooks Single Barrel (Like Heaven Hill has tons of whiskey to fork over for this stuff all the time....)
    Michter's Unblended American Whiskey (I have a hunch it will be replaced by the newer and better Sour Mash 86pf)
    Knob Creek (I could see it losing the age statement)
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Enthusiast

Thanks Ethan, that's a great list and some I have not tried. I will make the Old Grandad 114 my next buy since your the second to name it. I was lucky enough to score 2 bottles from the late 60s recently. I haven't opened them yet as one will go to my brother and we will drink together, Long distance anyway.
    "You can't claim to have been drinkin all day if you don't start first thing in the mornin."

Enthusiast

Did two threads get combined at post #15? The headers changed.