Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: Today's bunkerable bourbon

Quote Originally Posted by SFS View Post
    The "learned one" also has an "o" in his handle.
    I spelled it but didn't say it. The dangers of drinking and typing. I'm surprised any of us can form coherent sentences.

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    My experience with the Centennial was the old ND version, is the BT still available?
    I don't think so SquIre.
    Last edited by smknjoe; 03-05-2013 at 19:03.

Apprentice

I don't think so Squre.[/QUOTE]

Very nice. I agree, spelling and putting together sentences can become more difficult as the evening progresses

Apprentice

hmmm.......need to figure the 'reply with quote' function

Guru

...see. I didn't even notice that one! Fixed.

Guru

Kinda.

Padpadpadpad

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRuck View Post
    hmmm.......need to figure the 'reply with quote' function
    Just type below or after (or before) the "[/QUOTE]" You're missing the first [QUOTE=smknjoe] part.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Manthey View Post
    Bourbon ain't gold. For one, we're not really limited by how much can be produced; they can always make more whiskey. Also, gold is a universal commodity, whereas bourbon is a consumable good. Not reusable, and totally renewable. However, unlike other trendy collectible panic buys and hoarding patterns that happened with baseball cards, comic books, Beanie Babies, etc., you can always drink your bourbon.

I just believe that there will always be good, cheap whiskey as long as people keep buying it. Brands may come and go, trends will rise and fall, and i'm not going to spend my money and shelf space trying to predict which mid-shelfer is going the way of the dodo. If Buffalo Trace and Rittenhouse shoot up to $40 a bottle in the next few years I will eat my words, and wash it down my dwindling supply.
    I agree for the most part with this logic and try to follow it, but whiskirexia nervosa is a crippling disorder! The only time I really try to stock up on booze is if a product I enjoy has already increased in price significantly and I found a stash at a lower price in a dusty liquor store. For instance, I have stocked up considerably on Plymouth Gin after it jumped from low $20s to $30 when they rebranded the bottle and label. For the most part, I try to avoid bunkering vast quantities of daily drinkers. It may be that I will regret it in the future, but I have yet to find a bottling I couldn't live without (except maybe Stagg ). For the most part I think people try to stock up on what is hard to find. Weller 12 fits the bill because of its limited distribution. Similar for AAA 10. I've felt the same with Sazerac 6, Rittenhouse, and BTAC - I'd rather spend the money now then have to go hunt for them when I get a hankering, which will happen at some point.

Of course, I wish I had a buddy who stockpiled some ER101, Weller Centennial, and DSPKY16 OF who'd let me come over raid their stash (or at least let me sample those that I have never had). At least Bourbon is cheaper than Scotch - I've read crazy things (or maybe not so crazy) of people wanting to stockpile Lagavulin 16 because of how much Diageo increased the price of Talisker 18.

For the most part I don't buy into these games. There will always be something else to satisfy my interests.
    Last edited by devillighter; 03-05-2013 at 20:20.

Enthusiast

So Squire! ND?...............
    "You can't claim to have been drinkin all day if you don't start first thing in the mornin."

Guru

I actually did lay in a supply of Eagle Rare 101 when when I read it here on SB that expression was to be discontinued. We took off for New Orleans that weekend and bought what could be found. Dusty hunting is a great excuse for a road trip.

Advanced Taster

I would add Ritt BIB (DSP-KY354) to the list.

I know, I know. We have no idea what the DSP-KY1 rye will taste like, and there's every chance that it might be just as good or better. But I have persistent nagging doubts about that. Enough so that I'm slowly putting away a case or two of the 354. Whatever happens, the 354 rye will soon be gone forever, and many people will regret not stocking up.
    trying to walk a straight line,
    on sour mash and cheap wine