Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: Bourbons from the Same Line: (Blind) Comparative Tastings and Thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by CoMobourbon View Post
    I feel like, for example, that I can make some fairly useful generalizations about how much age matters to me versus how much proof matters to me. Specifically, I have come to think that higher proof matters much more - especially as it can be had for more bang-to-buck. I like older 8-12 year stuff better sometimes - there are noticeable differences in any case - but don't think that it is usually worth the money.
    Fully agreed there. I think figuring out what proof, age, and mashbill means to your specific tastes are the most important/interesting parts of the journey from starting off as a bourbon noob, to becoming more of an experienced enthusiast.

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    An attractive package will definitely sell whisky, or get you married for that matter.
    LMAO!

Advanced Taster

Here are two more sub-questions for this thread (ones that should have been obvious to me right away). 1.) What are some combinations (bourbons of the same mashbill, distillery, and maybe even the same brand profile) that I or others could try in these same-bourbon-line comparative blind tastings? 2.) What same-line blind tasted combinations have people tried?

1.) WSR, OWA, and W12 has been mentioned.
    2.) Also, I have tried EW green, EW black, EW BIB, and EW single barrel (2003).
    3.) Enoch mentioned Elmer T. Lee, Hancock's, Blanton's, and Rock Hill Farms.
    4.) Maybe WT81, WT101, Russel's Reserve, and RB? [Actually, Jason Pyle did most of this in a YouTube review. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jB6D-...4ObrQ&index=33]
    5.) Four Roses Yellow, Four Roses Small Batch, and Four Roses Single Barrel (standard OBSV)?
    6.) I think I remember AaronWF doing Dickel 12 and the Dickel barrel select, but I don't remember precisely how he did it, and in any case that's only two data points. (It's not, say the Dickel 8, the Dickel 12, and the Dickel barrel select.
    7.) OGD, OGD BIB, OGD 114, and Basil Hayden?
    9.) Others?
    10.) Others?
    Last edited by CoMobourbon; 03-03-2013 at 17:41.
    I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.
    ― Kurt Vonnegut

I don't really do blind or comparative tastings, but for some reason I do try to have multiple bottles of the same line, or type of bourbon open. For the most part, I seem to rotate between Van Winkles, Wellers, and BIB's. I also have a few others open too, just because.

Examples:

#1. Van Winkles. About three months ago or so, I had ORVW 10/90, ORVW 10/107, Lot B, Pappy 15 and Pappy 20 all open at the same time. I was only frugal with the Pappy 20.

#2. Wellers. As the Van Winkles were emptied, I opened Wellers. I have and/or had Weller SR, OWA, Weller 12, Weller Centennial, and a 2010 WLW open. I added the "had" because when the Weller SR and OWA were about half empty, I combined them to make my version of the Weller SB blend.

#3. BIB's and ≈100 proofers. (Give or take a proof point or two. ) I am slowly transitioning over to BIB's and 100 proofers as I finish other bottles. Currently open in this category are, Old Forester BIB, EW BIB, Old HH BIB, VOB 100 proof, Colonel E H Taylor Small Batch, and ER 101.

I love tasting the similarities and differences of types and lines of bourbon this way. Although there are times, depending on my mood or my taste buds, when it's a little difficult to choose a pour. That's why I keep an oddball or two open. I guess comparisons are somewhat inevitable this way, but for me, it's more a matter of what tastes good at a given time, not how it stacks up against something I tasted earlier.

Either way, you know the old saying. "IT'S ALL GOOD!"

Cheers! Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Connoisseur

You could try Beam ----

Beam White, Green, Black. Not sure if KC and Booker's are the same mash as the first three or not, though I am sure others will know.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by CoMobourbon View Post
    Here are two more sub-questions for this thread (ones that should have been obvious right away). 1.) What are some combinations (bourbons of the same mashbill, distillery, and maybe even the same brand profile) that I or others could try in these same-bourbon-line comparative blind tastings? 2.) What same-line blind tasted combinations have people tried?

1.) WSR, OWA, and W12 has been mentioned.
    2.) Also, I have tried EW green, EW black, EW BIB, and EW single barrel (2003).
    3.) Enoch mentioned Elmer T. Lee, Hancock's, Blanton's, and Rock Hill Farms.
    4.) Maybe WT81, WT101, Russel's Reserve, and RB? [Actually, Jason Pyle did most of this in a YouTube review. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jB6D-...4ObrQ&index=33]
    5.) Four Roses Yellow, Four Roses Small Batch, and Four Roses Single Barrel (standard OBSV)?
    6.) I think I remember AaronWF doing Dickel 12 and the Dickel barrel select, but I don't remember precisely how he did it, and in any case that's only two data points. (It's not, say the Dickel 8, the Dickel 12, and the Dickel barrel select.
    7.) OGD, OGD BIB, OGD 114, and Basil Hayden?
    9.) Others?
    10.) Others?

i would add AA and AAA to the ETL lineup.
    I would also look at the other BT mashbill, Charter, BT , Eagle Eare.

Advanced Taster

We did a small Stitzel Weller mix with Pappy 20, JPR 18, Old Fitz BiB (1992) then sprinkled in some non-lineage ones to see if we could separate them out. We used Weller 12 (current) and Vintage 17. Quite a fun night and a good way to further solidify how great of a value Weller 12 is.

Guru

Now that's my idea of a fun evening, what were the tasting results?

Advanced Taster

I ended up with the Old Fitz as my favorite and the JPR second. I picked the Vintage out pretty easily but still had it third. Mrs. Flyer had the SW's 1,2,3 with Pappy, JPR, then OF. She typically loves the Vintage but had that last on her list. Needless to say she was pretty surprised. We both had the Weller 12 in 4th place and commented that it performed extremely well. We have always considered Weller 12 to be predominately sweet and smooth yet neither of our notes used these words for this tasting and we found it to be much more complex.

This was the first time we have done the tastings blind and we loved it. Mrs. Flyer called it her favorite drinking game ever. Apparently we have matured past flip cup.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoFlyer View Post
    We have always considered Weller 12 to be predominately sweet and smooth yet neither of our notes used these words for this tasting and we found it to be much more complex.
    Now, to me, that's the kind of interesting thing you find out in a blind tasting - especially in a blind tasting of similar bottles (like aged wheaters, in this case).

In my much more low brow blind comparative tasting, I discovered that I liked the palate of the much younger 100 proof EW BIB about as much as the 9 1/2 year old EW single barrel. They were different (thick and relatively simple versus delicate and relatively more balanced + complex), but I rated them the same overall. But I did like the rich nose of the single barrel much better than the young high proof BIB, which was much more closed. So then, if I can get the BIB for $12 and the SB for $27ish, then is the extra 100%+ worth the nicer nose? No definitive answers, but it really clarifies the question / the choices.
    I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.
    ― Kurt Vonnegut

Connoisseur

In a similar vein, every night my wife selects a blind shot and I have to guess what it is. I have around 100 open bottles in three groups: pre-govt warning, post-govt warning, and special stuff. Sometimes she will tell me which group but I must say my correct guess ratio is dismal. It is very humbling.