Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: BOTM 3/13: George Dickel Rye.

Got a 750 of this at lunch for a little less than $17. What other sizes are available? Also found it quite nice and can taste the connection to Bulleit Rye but substantially cheaper.

Guru

The charcoal filtering calms down the over-the-top mint notes that sometimes are predominant in LDI rye. The price makes in an incredible value. And you gotta love the old-timely labeling.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Connoisseur

I cracked a bottle (750ml/$20+) just to participate in the BOTM discussion. I have 7 bottles of LDI rye (3 Willetts, 2 Bulleits, 2 Dickels) and this is my first taste. I like the synthetic cork - no worries about cork taint there. I get a bit of lemon oil on the nose, not sour, just aromatic lemon. Taste is sweet with a touch of the lemon oil (or lemon mint - is that the mint I hear so much about? I'm relieved that the mint isn't the green herbal flavors I get in some other whiskies), then the pepper builds over the lemon mint, finish has some alcohol tingle with the opening flavor just continuing throughout and a slight bitter end that I associate with white oak. I didn't find a single off-note, this is good, if mild, rye. I think I get an impression of smokiness in the full mouth - I'm thinking that may be the charcoal filtering taste, but I haven't tried the other Dickels for comparison yet. I've tried RittBIB and WTR101 and this is more similar to the WT. If this is minty, I dig it.
    Last edited by MauiSon; 03-05-2013 at 15:18.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Got a 750 of this at lunch for a little less than $17. What other sizes are available? Also found it quite nice and can taste the connection to Bulleit Rye but substantially cheaper.
    Often with new products, they only come out with the 1L (for bars and restaurants) and 750ml (for consumers) at first, if it catches on then they bring it out in all sizes, up to 1.75 L. But with Dickel being a pretty big brand, they may have come right out of the box with the full range.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Wow. What a deal!
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Apprentice

I love this stuff. It is really excellent stuff in my opinion. Makes a killer manhattan too. We did a pickleback with it and it was so nice I made old fashioneds with it where we subbed out the cherry, added kosher pickle juice and muddled the orange slice with the bitters, water, pickle juice and sugar...whew that was quite the cocktail. It drinks too easy. I like the mint and dill pickle aspect. It has a nice orangey finish too. Winner in my book.

Guru

$17.00 puts it way inside my buy it now category.

Connoisseur

I like this as much or more than Bulleit Rye, and it's $5 less. I've noticed that Willett, Bulleit, and now Dickel put Lawrenceburg, IN on the label of the ryes. No smoke, no mirrors, no monkey business. I think if a brand is going to sell something they didn't make; that's the way to do it.

Virtuoso

I picked up one of these yesterday for about $24. The cheapest I've seen it so far is just under $22. But on the other hand I can get Bulleit for under $20 on sale.

I have a Bulleit open at the moment so it was interesting to compare the two. The Dickel has a more pleasant nose-- the maple charcoal is most evident there in a sweet, gentle smokiness. I don't get much smoke at all out of Bulleit. Dickel also has some deeper notes of pecan pie. In terms of flavor, Dickel is more structured. Bulleit is decent enough but it always feels a little flabby to me. There are some dark fruit, almost rummy notes in Bulleit that are transformed into something more citric in the Dickel. I think Cowdery nailed it when he described grapefruit. It's not exactly grapefruit but it has that slightly bitter citrus rind note on the tongue as it fades. The finish is more spicy, too.

I also tried it with ice-- a mistake. Much like #12, it doesn't fare well on ice-- gets an odd, mentholated note that overpowers the other flavors.

I like this, a lot. Better than Bulleit rye although they are quite similar. The maple filter gives it a nice complexity, especially on the nose. I'm curious to see if this fades out as the bottle is open longer.
    Life's too short, and there's too much good whiskey within reach.

Guru

Good notes Brisko. I don't mind if it's sourced whisky (just don't pretend you made it) and it's interesting to find differences in the producer's final products.