Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Guru

Re: Mid 90's OGD 86 similar to today's whiskey?

Quote Originally Posted by Meruck View Post
    I had a great dusty hunt the other day and in addition to OC 10 yr 86 (not 101) I grabbed some OGD 86 and a BIB. Neither have UPC so I am hopeful I got something a little different, or at least I will tell my self that.
    Don't worry. Those are good ones and you'll definitely enjoy them.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Connoisseur

I have OGD 86 bottled stamped as late as 1993 that exhibited the ND profile.

Guru

When did Grand Dad become all Beam make stock, I was estimating around 1994-95.

Enthusiast

Ekey content..........?
    "You can't claim to have been drinkin all day if you don't start first thing in the mornin."

Connoisseur

Ethyl Carbamate boys and girls. I have a theory that this singular chemical and trying to rid it of bourbon whiskey caused the big flavor changes. You know how we got the thinner more vanilla dominant bourbons of today instead of what we get out of the dusty bottles found here and there. I do not know how it came about exactly, but it started in the Canadian whiskey industry in the late 80's and trickled down to bourbon, and I am told the FDA got involved. EC is urethane. A cancer causing agent if rats drink a pint of it straight a day. Anyway, the distillers had to get it out of bourbon. My theory based on industry people I have spoken to, said the first thing folks did was up the still proof, it helped some, then a lot of folks who used thumpers switched to doublers. Jim Beam had the highest level I am told and they put some type of copper filter, thumper like device on top of the beer stills that got it out. That in my opinion killed that nice grassy tastes Beam used to have. I am told by lots of folks that EC is actually caused by nitrogen in the mash. Too high a nitrogen levels. Al distilleries use yeast nutrients. Urea used to be common as well as 10-10-10 fertilize. If they had switched to a different nutrient they probably could have gotten rid of ec levels without bothering the still. But since the new lighter whiskey was coming of age, and sales were going up they dared not change a thing, like making a heavier product. There is still EC levels in whiskey, all fermented beverages, but the fda regulates ho much there can be. I highly doubt that lightening the products up caused sales to increase, but I could be wrong.

Guru

Wonder how many tax dollars the FDA spent to rat proof our whisky.

Connoisseur

we would need a drink before we found out, that is for damn sure.