Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Current Heaven Hill JW Dant BIB

I really like the current Heaven Hill J.W. Dant BIB..about $19 for a liter. It has a very nice high-rye bourbon nose and pretty smooth ryed bourbon palate with only a little burn. I know this level of bourbon is not popular here (unless it is a dusty) but does anyone else like it?

Connoisseur

Re: Current Heaven Hill JW Dant BIB

Not unpopular with me. Hard to find a better bourbon for the price on the market. All HH bib's are good values.

Advanced Taster

I'd rather drink fighting cock at that price point, but I wouldn't turn down a free pour.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by weller_tex View Post
    I know this level of bourbon is not popular here (unless it is a dusty) but does anyone else like it?
    I don't know what "this level of bourbon is not popular here" means but I'll still take AAA for $19/L. With that said, I agree with tmckenzie that HH does a great job at producing value.
    If God made anything better than bourbon he must have kept it for Hisself.

Connoisseur

Yep, I like it too. For a slightly drier profile, try the Old Heaven Hill gold label BIB bourbon.
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Connoisseur

I don't think I've tried any new production unfortunately. I'll have to remedy that soon.

I did have one DSP-KY-31 distilled and bottled that was horrid, but all the older stuff has been good to great.
    "this hobby is supposed to be fun. When it stops being fun, check yourself, because you're doing it wrong." Charles Cowdery

Disciple

I think affordable Bourbons are immensely popular here. Do I buy the high-end usual suspects, sure, but I love lots of price points, like OWA, OGD, Old Ezra 7, FC...

And I wish I could get HH BIBs in Wisconsin. The only one available is Old Fitz.

Disciple

Been about 3 years that I last tasted the current Dant BIB distilled at DSP 1 but thought then it compared favorably to the older DSP 2 and much better than most 80 to 90 proof bottom to mid shelfers. But my recent April/2012 bought bottle of HH BIB (gold label-presumed just 4 years) was quite raw, doggy and disagreeable to me. Also heard continuing unofficial murmurs in Bardstown last weekend that the T.W. Samuels label BIB and the 6 year label HH BIB are becoming history. Brought home a liter of the 6 year HH BIB just in case.
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Advanced Taster

I had some older JW Dant at Tales of the Cocktail this year. I tasted it with many other products, but I remember it being delicious. I was sort of overwhelmed with all of the products I tasted that night, including all sorts of liqueurs and such. But I fondly remember it. I'd like to taste the current stuff.

Advanced Taster

Is there a time line to determine the age of a Dant BiB based on DSP numbers? It sits around here in the MidAtlantic, not getting a lot of love, but I had an older bottle, faded yellowing label, don't remember where it was bottled or distilled that I quite enjoyed.