Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Four Roses Spoilage

I opened a bottle of a retailer FRSB (barrel strength, OBSV), and on first pour it was amazing. I got sick and couldn't tap it for a couple days. When I went back to the bottle a couple days later, the first sip almost made me puke. I confirmed it's awfulness with a second opinion. Thing is, this isn't the first FR bottle to break-bad. I had the same problem a couple months ago with a bottle of FRSmB that was open for a couple of weeks. The integrity of both corks looked fine when I looked the over (to the naked eye, anyways).

Has anyone else had spoiliation problems with FR?

Guru

Re: Four Roses Spoilage

No sir, can't say that I have.

There were some articles awhile back about the 2012 LE SmB "turning" on people, but can't say that I've experience it.

Guru

No problems here. If anything, I like my bottle of SmB better than the day I opened it ~10 weeks ago.

Connoisseur

DL, did you post this question somewhere else? I'm sure I've seen it before... Maybe you posted about the FRSmB, eh?
    When I check for your prior posts (46) only 2 appear - hey, what's up with that, admin?

Novice

How soon after the first pour did you get sick? Sometimes we make an association between recently ingested items and "feeling sick." Had yogurt once...got sick soon after (not due to yogurt) and could not eat yogurt for well over a year. Hope its just a fluke.

Advanced Taster

Haven't had it occur, and I've had a FRSB open for at least 6 months. I have seen it happen once to a friends bottle of Gentleman Jack, he got for birthday in November and by mid December, with only about a quarter of the bottle drunk it had turned. Color was off, and it had an almost rusty nasty taste to it.

Enthusiast

What I meant when I said I got sick was that I caught a cold - I didn't get sick from the FRSB. I didn't drink while I recovered. A couple days later, when I felt better, I poured a glass and I tasted horible - all fire. The wife (an avid FR fan) tried some, too, and she spit it right out.

I find it odd that this has happened to two FR bottles I've opened. I was wondering if there was something going on with the corks (that's all I can think of) and if other people were having the same problem. Out of 8 FR bottles I've opened over the last year, I've had 2 (25%) go bad pretty quickly. My 2012 FRSmB LE aged quite fine.

I've brought up this issue before in an active thread a while back, where I addressed the FRSmB. I thought it merited further discussion b/c its happened to me twice now.

Guru

Contact the folks at Four Roses. Distillers want to know if there is a problem with their product. They may have you send the bottle to them for analysis.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Virtuoso

I have a friend with a well stocked bar who doesn't really drink liquor himself. He has a 4R SmB that's probably been open in the neighborhood of 2 years, at over half-fill. I had a small glass a few months back and thought it was horrible. Very piney and unpleasant. I've always had a good opinion about the single barrel, and never had another bad experience with any 4R.

Guru

Can't say what's going on but if the bottle were mine I'd certainly contact Four Roses.