Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dusty Liquers

Disciple

Re: Dusty Liquers

Quote Originally Posted by devillighter View Post
    Thanks for posting your thoughts - it is very interesting. I love Chartreuse as well and would love to compare with older bottlings.

What do you think of the VEP and Elixir Vegetal? I've considered ordering a bottle of VEP from my local liquor store, but I think I want to try it first before ponying up the $150. I found a bottle in a dusty liquor store a month or so ago, but the guy behind the counter wouldn't sell it to me because he didn't know the price. I am planning on going back to check on it, so maybe I can make a deal.
    I can only speak to the VEP, but I find it outstanding. I mostly have it at restaurants, and I find I enjoy it more the longer bottle has been opened.

Advanced Taster

I came across some dusty tax-stamped Strega the other day, which made me curious whether it may be desirable to pick up, a la chartreuse. I didn't have the money on me at the time. Googled a bit and came across a brief discussion on the chanticleer cocktail forum:

http://chanticleersociety.org/forums/t/524.aspx

If I am in the area I may pick it up and give it a shot.

Enthusiast

I'd love to come across some dusty Grand Marnier someday.
    Pete

I hate scotch.

Advanced Taster

Dusty Liquers

I found a bottle of Sangster's Old Jamaica Blue Mountain Coffee Liqueur for $20. The base is Jamaican rum and its quite flavorful. The blue ceramic bottle has a gold seal on the label indicating gold awards at London in 1976 and Bristol in 1978. I'm guessing that this bottle is 30+ years old. Anybody out there know anything about this stuff?

Enthusiast

I found some fairly dusty liqueurs, some more tempting than others. A Cordial Compari with a tax stamp caught my attention along with a Liquore Strega and a La Grande Passion. Also an old bottle of Demi-Tasse Coffee Cream Liqueur, this can't still be drinkable can it?
    And a couple bottles of Manto Mataxa. They weren't totally on my radar at the time, but I'll probably go back for a few of them. There was also an interesting tiny bottle of a sparkling liqueur in what seemed to be a a 200ml champagne bottle with no UPC or anything, but it had a $30 price tag on it. I'll check it out again when I go back.
    IMG_1485.jpgIMG_1491.jpgIMG_1492.jpgIMG_1494.jpgIMG_1495.jpgIMG_1496.jpgIMG_1497.jpg

Enthusiast

Found a couple old bottles.

An old Schladerer Black Forest Raspberry Liqueur from around the mid-late 70's that has a really cool bottle with lots of embossing.

Also a bottle of Oran Mor Malt Whisky Liqueur which is discontinued as far as I can tell. I haven't been able to find much about it, but what I have said it could be tasty stuff.

IMG_1603.jpgIMG_1606.jpgIMG_1615.jpgIMG_1617.jpgIMG_1618.jpgIMG_1619.jpg

Enthusiast

All of this talk of dusty Chartreuse made me go back for a bottle I left behind. Tax stamp, metric and ounces, no UPC, so I guess late 70s or early 80s. I couldn't pass it up for $12.99. It's my first time trying Chartreuse, so I have nothing to compare it to, but it is quite tasty.

13756598701882.jpg