Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: Bourbon in sherry casks

I think that BT is doing this. One, Omar mentioned they have experimental "bourbons". And, two, I know that Dave was going to be there in late August. ;-)

Bourbonian of the Year 2007

aged v. finished is nothing but b.s.--that's a distinction without a difference. if bourbon spends ANY time in a used barrel, it spends time aging in something other than a NEW charred oak barrel. whether aged one week, two weeks, or an hour and a half, you aged it in something USED, boys and girls.

i like spirits other than bourbon, too--but just leave my bourbon unadulterated by this silliness. call this stuff flavored whiskey or something equally insipid, but it ain't bourbon.

Bourbonian of the Year 2007

And while you're at it, sell it next to those cute vodkas in blue bottles or those liquours in orange ones. Hey, why not include a coupon to get your nails done or maybe a perm at the same time.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I agree such products should be identified as what they are, i.e., American whiskey produced differently to the norm, as a specialty. Whether it can still be called "bourbon" on the label is a matter the company will work out having regard to the various laws and rules.

In the 19th century, a wide variety of flavourings were used to flavour whiskey. Most whiskey flavoured in this way was a mixture of neutral spirits and some legitimate straight whiskey. However some "luxury" blends of the time were composed of all-whiskey incorporating some flavouring. I have written before of one formula I found that was 45 % each of two bourbons, 9% rye and 1% of an extract of prunes and raisins macerated in (neutral) alcohol. I have made this kind of drink myself in small quantities and it can be very good. Peach-derived extracts were used, also ones made from currants and green tea, even carob. It sounds odd, perhaps, but in small amounts such as 1%, these added a subtle note that consumers clearly liked at the time. The sherry finishing idea is similar, it is adding another fruity top-note to the drink. I don't see anything wrong with offering such a specialty on the market provided it is clearly labelled to be what it is. In the late 1800's it was known in Scotland that sherry casks improved the taste of their whisky at any rate. I believe the practice of American blenders in the late 1800's to add fruit extracts to whiskey and neutral spirits was a way to emulate that practice.

Gary

Connoisseur

Well said Gillman. And it's still happening today: Southern Comfort. I have no use for SC, but many folks seem to like it.

Frankly, I don't have an issue with boutique/experimental finishes if it's clearly labeled -- as is the case w Distillers Masterpiece. The 18y 'cognac' experiment from Beam is wonderful. I haven't tried the 20y Port, which I hear Cliff is bringing to the fest.

Omar

Guru

Frankly, I don't have an issue with boutique/experimental finishes if it's clearly labeled -- as is the case w Distillers Masterpiece. The 18y 'cognac' experiment from Beam is wonderful. I haven't tried the 20y Port, which I hear Cliff is bringing to the fest.
    Same here Omar. I haven't tried the 20 year 'Port' Distillers Masterpiece yet either, but the 'Cognac' expression was quite nice. At over $200 yes, it is overpriced, but I give them credit for at least making it. As long as the labels are clearly marked I see nothing wrong with it either. I'm all for experimentation if it is done in a respectable way; No sugar water or flavorings added and then still attempting to call it bourbon.

Enthusiast

OK OK, I'll break the suspense. Although Wild Turkey states in their advertising: “Not the latest thing – the genuine thing” the distillery where I saw this product is none other than WT. Scotland has been doing it for years (check out the entire Glenmorangie lineup). I'm not condoning it in the case of bourbon, just thought you'd all like to know about it!

Guru

Thanks for breaking that suspense, many of us were honestly leaning towards Buffalo Trace as the distillery who was doing it. Did you find out any more info on it while there such as when they may possibly release it for sale if in fact they will, will it be here within the US, etc...?

Enthusiast

No further information was forthcoming except that this 500L cask appeared to be the last one of 5 which was being emptied. No sign of special bottles, labels etc. (trust me, I was lookin'). Where it will end up is anyone's guess.

Guru

Thanks Dave, you are still quite the sleuth nonetheless! Just another bottling to have to keep an eye out for now.